Non-booting system, possible corrupted modules.conf.

Non-booting system, possible corrupted modules.conf.

Post by skj » Sun, 12 May 2002 21:41:57

Hi

RH7.0
Used sndconfig to attempt configuring VIA AC97 audio controller (on-board).
System froze during process. now on booting, the system gets stuck after
"determining module dependancies" while configuring sound controller. This
also happens on booting as "linux 1".

Is there a way to do a more minimal boot so I can change my current
'modules.conf' to the backed up one?

I have got a boot floppy.

thanks

skj

Post by Joost Kremer » Sun, 12 May 2002 22:38:32

> Hi

> RH7.0
> Used sndconfig to attempt configuring VIA AC97 audio controller (on-board).
> System froze during process. now on booting, the system gets stuck after
> "determining module dependancies" while configuring sound controller. This
> also happens on booting as "linux 1".

> Is there a way to do a more minimal boot so I can change my current
> 'modules.conf' to the backed up one?

> I have got a boot floppy.

a boot floppy wont help, you need a rescue floppy. or use the RH
install cd and choose rescue mode. (i assume RH has one...)

you can also try booting with `linux single' at the lilo prompt. that
should put you in single user level, which is a minimal boot. only
root login, no services etc.

HTH

--
Joost Kremers                           Is er leven op pluto
http://baserv.uci.kun.nl/~jkremers       Kun je dansen op de maan

Non-booting system, possible corrupted modules.conf.

Post by skj » Mon, 13 May 2002 05:32:28

Hi

problem solved:

mknod -m 0600 /dev/hdc2 b 22 2
mount -t ext2  /dev//hdc2 /mnt/hdc2

I then copied my old changed the modules.conf.bak to modules.conf.

Now back to the thread on seeing the partition under Windows.

thanks

skj

> Hi

> > > Hi

> > > RH7.0
> > > Used sndconfig to attempt configuring VIA AC97 audio controller
> (on-board).
> > > System froze during process. now on booting, the system gets stuck
after
> > > "determining module dependancies" while configuring sound controller.
> This
> > > also happens on booting as "linux 1".

> > > Is there a way to do a more minimal boot so I can change my current
> > > 'modules.conf' to the backed up one?

> > > I have got a boot floppy.

> > a boot floppy wont help, you need a rescue floppy. or use the RH
> > install cd and choose rescue mode. (i assume RH has one...)

> > you can also try booting with `linux single' at the lilo prompt. that
> > should put you in single user level, which is a minimal boot. only
> > root login, no services etc.

> > HTH

> > --
> > Joost Kremers Is er leven op pluto
> > http://baserv.uci.kun.nl/~jkremers Kun je dansen op de maan

> Ok. Booted into rescue mode. How do I mount hdc2 where linux is installed?
> Hdc2 is not listed under dev.

> I tried: mount -t ext2 hdc2\  \mnt\hdc2\

> response: Block device required.

> thanks

> skj

1. conf.modules vs. modules.conf & modules.dep??

Just upgraded my RH6.2 box to kernel 2.2.18 (in conjunction with
applying vpn masq patch).  Now I notice that it complains about
conf.modules, so I renamed this to conf.modules.old and made a copy as
modules.conf.  Now it complains that modules.conf is newer than
modules.dep.  And, in any case, it doesn't seem to load my modules
(specifically 3c509.o for ethernet).

My present workaround is just to manually invoke this module (modprobe
3c509) and restart /etc/rc.d/init.d/network (as well as dhcpd and
named), but I know there's gotta be a "Right Way" of doing this.

What's different between 2.2.18 and my old kernel (2.2.14-5.0) in
terms of handling these files?  And, more importantly, how do I
correct this situation?  Many thanks, in advance.

2. bug with fseek() on pipes

3. conf.modules & modules.conf

4. xmahjongg can't open fonts - Slackware 3.3

5. Diff b/t conf.modules and modules.conf

6. User ftp access denied

7. Conf.modules non-existant?

8. Boot-Cd

9. System Commander problems (was Re: Possible to boot freebsd from system commander?)

10. /boot/System.map and /boot/module-info

11. how to make /boot/System.map & /boot/module-info?

12. What are /boot/System.map* and /boot/module-info* ?

13. /boot/System.map & /boot/module-info ?