howto: have email sent when ftp user connects

howto: have email sent when ftp user connects

Post by tabe » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 05:23:34

I need to find a way to have the system (run a script or whatever) to
send an
e-mail message when a particular ftp user logges in (and uploads a
file).
Is there a way to this type of alerting? --well, I know there is a
way, but I dont know how...

Can someone please point me in the right direction asap?

Thankyou

howto: have email sent when ftp user connects

Post by Marc Green » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 08:51:39

Quote:> I need to find a way to have the system (run a script or whatever) to
> send an
> e-mail message when a particular ftp user logges in (and uploads a
> file).
> Is there a way to this type of alerting? --well, I know there is a
> way, but I dont know how...

Of course there are lots of ways. Personally, I would set up the script
logcheck.sh (do a search) to email me (local user) whenever syslog
recorded the specified activity in the log. If I needed further action
(another email sent out to a remote account), I would set up a procmail
filter to pass the email out wherever it needed to go.

Marc

Post by tabe » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 08:48:21

> > I need to find a way to have the system (run a script or whatever) to
> > send an
> > e-mail message when a particular ftp user logges in (and uploads a
> > file).
> > Is there a way to this type of alerting? --well, I know there is a
> > way, but I dont know how...

> Of course there are lots of ways. Personally, I would set up the script
> logcheck.sh (do a search) to email me (local user) whenever syslog
> recorded the specified activity in the log. If I needed further action
> (another email sent out to a remote account), I would set up a procmail
> filter to pass the email out wherever it needed to go.

> Marc

thankyou marc!
I love this program... lots of stuff I can do with it. I just started
playing and have it setup to e-mail my cell phone upon suspicious
activity detection.

Where can I find other programs like this?

Post by Marc Green » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 13:43:36

>> > I need to find a way to have the system (run a script or whatever) to
>> > send an
>> > e-mail message when a particular ftp user logges in (and uploads a
>> > file).
>> > Is there a way to this type of alerting? --well, I know there is a
>> > way, but I dont know how...

>> Of course there are lots of ways. Personally, I would set up the script
>> logcheck.sh (do a search) to email me (local user) whenever syslog
>> recorded the specified activity in the log. If I needed further action
>> (another email sent out to a remote account), I would set up a procmail
>> filter to pass the email out wherever it needed to go.

>> Marc

> thankyou marc!
> I love this program... lots of stuff I can do with it. I just started
> playing and have it setup to e-mail my cell phone upon suspicious
> activity detection.

> Where can I find other programs like this?

Well, you probabably already saw portsentry, there are also tools like
tripwire, snort and lids along with plain old iptables and syslog. Try
typing  'intrusion' into the search engine over at sourceforge. You'll
be happy with the results :-)

Marc