What happens if files are >2GB on a 2GB NFS mount?

What happens if files are >2GB on a 2GB NFS mount?

Post by David Segal » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 16:45:21

I have an old HP-UX (Version 10.2) system with a version of NFS which
is restricted to a 2GB maximum file size. What would happen if I NFS
mount a Linux system which contains files larger than 2GB? Disaster or
just truncating the large files?

What happens if files are >2GB on a 2GB NFS mount?

Post by -wisegu » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 12:54:30

Quote:> I have an old HP-UX (Version 10.2) system with a version of NFS which
> is restricted to a 2GB maximum file size. What would happen if I NFS
> mount a Linux system which contains files larger than 2GB? Disaster or
> just truncating the large files?

The result is at best platform specific and at worst is undefined...don't try
to determine if it's something you can live with because you, or the guy who
replaces you, will eventually get burned.  Accept the 2GB as a constraint or
use a fileserver that properly handes >2GB filesystems.

my 2.3333333... cents worth

--
-- Rob Prowel (A.K.A. da wiseguy)

1. Mounting Large (> 2GB) File systems via NFS to SunOS 4.1.3

Greetings.

I've just discovered that trying to mount file systems from our SSA to
a SunOS 4.1.3 machine is possible only if the FS involved are under
2.0 GB.  This is a HUGE problem to me since we've got a couple of 14+
GB partitions which we need shared.  If I mount these large
partitions, SunOs makes them read-only, and 'df' reports them as the
largest size it will recognize.

Can anybody offer a work around?

Can anybody confirm that my analysis of this situation is correct?

Thanks,
Sam Posten

2. UNIX shell differences and how to change your shell (Monthly Posting)

3. Possible to NFS mount a FS > 2Gb?

4. IP Routing Problem

5. NFS and files > 2GB

6. Can't login as root with CDE

7. NFS file size > 2GB fail

8. Possible to mount linux filesystems from win98?

9. Large File System Enabling/File > 2GB

10. Get >>> 1GB / 2GB <<<< USB Flash Memory Drive

11. Mounting tmpfs with size= option - does not like >2GB sizes

12. NFS > 2Gb