Unreal Tournament in Linux

Post by maddm » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 12:46:20

Hello all.  I'm trying to get Unreal Tournament running under Linux.
I downloaded the 436 install from Loki's site and the install went
fine.  When I tried to run the program, the graphics are blocky,
barely recognizable.  I went through the docs and changed the renderer
from OpenGL to the software renderer.

I'm running Mandrake Linux 8.0, 2.4.18 kernel.  Any help or advice
would be much appreciated.

madd

Unreal Tournament in Linux

Post by maddm » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 22:20:46

> Hello all.  I'm trying to get Unreal Tournament running under Linux.
> I downloaded the 436 install from Loki's site and the install went
> fine.  When I tried to run the program, the graphics are blocky,
> barely recognizable.  I went through the docs and changed the renderer
> from OpenGL to the software renderer.

> I'm running Mandrake Linux 8.0, 2.4.18 kernel.  Any help or advice
> would be much appreciated.

> madd

crossposting this to see if anyone is colx can help out

Unreal Tournament in Linux

Post by Trevor MacPhai » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 23:13:01

Quote:>>Hello all.  I'm trying to get Unreal Tournament running under Linux.
>>I downloaded the 436 install from Loki's site and the install went
>>fine.  When I tried to run the program, the graphics are blocky,
>>barely recognizable.  I went through the docs and changed the renderer
>>from OpenGL to the software renderer.

Can I ask you (or anyone else) how you got it installed. I downloaded
the installer from Loki's site and it asks me to mount the first cd. It
doesnt detect it. Turns out it is trying to read from my floppy drive.
So I try a few thing:

First thing I tried was to mount my cd to the /floppy directory, didnt
work. (I think it was still trying to read from the floppy drive).

Second thing I tried (seperate from the first) was to temporarily rename
/dev/fd0 to /dev/fd0.bak and then rename /dev/hdb (my cd drive) to
/dev/fd0. This actually got it trying to read from the cd drive (green
seek light went on). The installer still wouldnt detect the cd.

Does anyone know what might be wrong?

-Trevor

Unreal Tournament in Linux

Post by Pau » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 03:56:05

> >>Hello all.  I'm trying to get Unreal Tournament running under Linux.
> >>I downloaded the 436 install from Loki's site and the install went
> >>fine.  When I tried to run the program, the graphics are blocky,
> >>barely recognizable.  I went through the docs and changed the renderer
> >>from OpenGL to the software renderer.

> Can I ask you (or anyone else) how you got it installed. I downloaded
> the installer from Loki's site and it asks me to mount the first cd. It
> doesnt detect it. Turns out it is trying to read from my floppy drive.
> So I try a few thing:

> First thing I tried was to mount my cd to the /floppy directory, didnt
> work. (I think it was still trying to read from the floppy drive).

> Second thing I tried (seperate from the first) was to temporarily rename
> /dev/fd0 to /dev/fd0.bak and then rename /dev/hdb (my cd drive) to
> /dev/fd0. This actually got it trying to read from the cd drive (green
> seek light went on). The installer still wouldnt detect the cd.

> Does anyone know what might be wrong?

> -Trevor

Ive never had any problems putting it on either of my machines, one
ide and the other scsi cdrs. I have UT game of the year and have it
running occasionally as a server, runs great. Due to my sub par vid
cards I play on my other box in Windows. For my installs I usuually
have the installer in a directory in my home and su to root to
install. Never any balks about cd so not sure where your problems stem
from. Might do a sym link from your floppy device to hdb and see if
that might work.

Good luck and frag on
Paul

Unreal Tournament in Linux

Post by maddm » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 05:35:10

> >>Hello all.  I'm trying to get Unreal Tournament running under Linux.
> >>I downloaded the 436 install from Loki's site and the install went
> >>fine.  When I tried to run the program, the graphics are blocky,
> >>barely recognizable.  I went through the docs and changed the renderer
> >>from OpenGL to the software renderer.

> Can I ask you (or anyone else) how you got it installed. I downloaded
> the installer from Loki's site and it asks me to mount the first cd. It
> doesnt detect it. Turns out it is trying to read from my floppy drive.
> So I try a few thing:

> First thing I tried was to mount my cd to the /floppy directory, didnt
> work. (I think it was still trying to read from the floppy drive).

> Second thing I tried (seperate from the first) was to temporarily rename
> /dev/fd0 to /dev/fd0.bak and then rename /dev/hdb (my cd drive) to
> /dev/fd0. This actually got it trying to read from the cd drive (green
> seek light went on). The installer still wouldnt detect the cd.

> Does anyone know what might be wrong?

> -Trevor

hmm - didn't have to do any such wizardry.  Do you have automount?  I
simply inserted the disk, ran the installer, all went smooth as could
be.

Oh - another important detail.  I had UT running a few months ago.
Since then I formatted and reinstalled (fsking win2k screwed up my
partition table >:( ).  The only things I've installed were updating
the kernel from 2.4.3 to 2.4.18 and installing kde 3.0 (did not get
rid of 2.2).

anyone know what the difference could be?

Unreal Tournament in Linux

Post by Bill Marc » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 14:05:55

On Fri, 07 Jun 2002 07:13:01 -0700,

Quote:>>>Hello all.  I'm trying to get Unreal Tournament running under Linux.
>>>I downloaded the 436 install from Loki's site and the install went
>>>fine.  When I tried to run the program, the graphics are blocky,
>>>barely recognizable.  I went through the docs and changed the renderer
>>>from OpenGL to the software renderer.

>Can I ask you (or anyone else) how you got it installed. I downloaded
>the installer from Loki's site and it asks me to mount the first cd. It
>doesnt detect it. Turns out it is trying to read from my floppy drive.
>So I try a few thing:

>First thing I tried was to mount my cd to the /floppy directory, didnt
>work. (I think it was still trying to read from the floppy drive).

>Second thing I tried (seperate from the first) was to temporarily rename
>/dev/fd0 to /dev/fd0.bak and then rename /dev/hdb (my cd drive) to
>/dev/fd0. This actually got it trying to read from the cd drive (green
>seek light went on). The installer still wouldnt detect the cd.

>Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Changing device names shouldn't be necessary, and probably won't work
because no floppy disk has an iso9660 filesystem.  Maybe the installer
has a configuration file or need a command line option.  Try
/name/of/install/program --help

Unreal Tournament in Linux

Post by Jon Trulso » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 05:34:04

> On Fri, 07 Jun 2002 07:13:01 -0700,

>>Can I ask you (or anyone else) how you got it installed. I downloaded
>>the installer from Loki's site and it asks me to mount the first cd. It
>>doesnt detect it. Turns out it is trying to read from my floppy drive.
>>So I try a few thing:

>>First thing I tried was to mount my cd to the /floppy directory, didnt
>>work. (I think it was still trying to read from the floppy drive).

>>Second thing I tried (seperate from the first) was to temporarily rename
>>/dev/fd0 to /dev/fd0.bak and then rename /dev/hdb (my cd drive) to
>>/dev/fd0. This actually got it trying to read from the cd drive (green
>>seek light went on). The installer still wouldnt detect the cd.

>>Does anyone know what might be wrong?

> Changing device names shouldn't be necessary, and probably won't work
> because no floppy disk has an iso9660 filesystem.  Maybe the installer
> has a configuration file or need a command line option.  Try
> /name/of/install/program --help

        I had similiar fun installing it at home.  The key was in an
obscure FAQ item somewhere... Basically you need to make sure your kernel
has Microsoft Joliet extensions enabled... Otherwise the installer will
never find it's files (and yes, it will try the floppy for some reason.).

--

Xi Graphics, Inc.  http://www.xig.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962

1. unreal tournament and linux firewall

I have configured a linux machine to be my gateway to the internet for
my windows network and have install a firewall from:
http://linux-firewall-tools.com/linux/firewall/index.html
my problem is I cannot get unreal tournament to work through the
firewall. I understand I have to open ports....and I believe they are
UDP 2000-2009. I am not trying to run an unreal server just play the
game over the internet. It works fine without the firewall. I am using
Redhat 6.1 and kernel 2.2.x with ipmasq ....any ideas. The program stops
when trying to PING the servers....I think I have the ports open for
pinging.  Please send responses to:

                        Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. DAO on ATAPI CD/RW?

3. Linux, DRI, And Unreal Tournament

4. Loging in to a PAP server

5. Unreal Tournament Linux Version

6. Serial Keyboard

7. unreal tournament and linux firewall

8. daemon - restart automatic

9. Unreal Tournament in Linux

10. unreal tournament 2003 on linux.

11. Unreal Tournament

12. error when running Unreal Tournament

13. OpenGL problems w/ screensavers, Unreal Tournament