TOKEN RING? (unfortunately *IBM* Token Ring)

TOKEN RING? (unfortunately *IBM* Token Ring)

Post by Frank T Lofa » Wed, 15 Jul 1992 22:14:15

    I am on a Token Ring network. I have heard that the ka9q tcp/ip has
been ported and that socket support is in the works, and that there is
an Ethernet driver out there. I am wondering if there is also a Token
Ring driver out there already, or if one is being written. I've heard
that it wouldn't be impossible to write one, but I can't even begin to
think of doing it myself without low-level documentation (IBM charged

Quote:>$200 for the card, and to get a tech ref manual will cost me $72, so

I'd rather not have to get the docs myself. Thanks IBM, for your fascist
policies, and for making life difficult. The documentation that came
with the card, if one could call it that, only told one how to load
tokreui, a DOS driver, and how to select what IRQ's and memory it uses,
no memory map of the card, etc.) Would any of the information on
low-level driving the card be available from the net, or could any of
you supply it so that if I do have to write a driver I can? Or would
that be illegal to supply (considering this is IBM, that wouldn't
surprise me too much). I'd really appreciate any help you can give,
since I *don't* want to have to use MS-LOSS in order to use the network.
(and for me a modem is *not* a viable option.)

    How hard would it be to actually write a driver? If someone or I
wrote or were to write such a beast, would they/I be allowed to make it
available to others, or would IBM have and exercise the legal right to
say that the author could only use it for his/her personal use?

    Also, I believe that 386BSD has networking stuff in it (I have no
idea if they support Token Ring, I haven't heard anything about that).
Maybe we should reuse some of that code in Linux, so that effort isn't
duplicated.

TOKEN RING? (unfortunately *IBM* Token Ring)

Post by Charles Hedri » Fri, 17 Jul 1992 13:53:45

Quote:>    I am on a Token Ring network. I have heard that the ka9q tcp/ip has
>been ported and that socket support is in the works, and that there is
>an Ethernet driver out there. I am wondering if there is also a Token
>Ring driver out there already, or if one is being written. I've heard
>that it wouldn't be impossible to write one, but I can't even begin to
>think of doing it myself without low-level documentation

KA9Q has been ported and is on TSX11.  I've heard some comments about
a kernel TCP/IP implementation, but don't know its status.  As far as
I know, no one has done Token Ring support.  I suggest looking for the
MS/DOS Token Ring packet driver.  (Sorry, I don't know where it is.)
That should have the magic necessary to do low-level driver code.  I'm
pretty sure it's public.

Post by Russell Nels » Sat, 18 Jul 1992 11:05:31

   >    I am on a Token Ring network. I have heard that the ka9q tcp/ip has
   >been ported and that socket support is in the works, and that there is
   >an Ethernet driver out there. I am wondering if there is also a Token
   >Ring driver out there already, or if one is being written. I've heard
   >that it wouldn't be impossible to write one, but I can't even begin to
   >think of doing it myself without low-level documentation

   KA9Q has been ported and is on TSX11.  I've heard some comments about
   a kernel TCP/IP implementation, but don't know its status.  As far as
   I know, no one has done Token Ring support.  I suggest looking for the
   MS/DOS Token Ring packet driver.  (Sorry, I don't know where it is.)
   That should have the magic necessary to do low-level driver code.  I'm
   pretty sure it's public.

Sadly, Charles, no, it doesn't.  All the ibmtoken packet driver does
is 1) convert Packet Driver calls into ASI calls, and 2) convert
Ethernet packets into Token Ring packets (and vice-versa).

In fact, I'd like to write a Token Ring packet driver, but first I
have to 1) get some equipment, and 2) get a MAU, and 3) get some tech
specs, and 4) get some program(s) that can use a Token Ring packet
driver.  And, of course, find some "spare" time to write it in...

Crynwr Software            Crynwr Software sells packet driver support.
11 Grant St.               315-268-1925 Voice   [ if mail bounces, forward it ]

1. token ring token ring token ring

I would advice either going to a more recent kernel, or back to 1.2.x,
and applying the TR patch.  As far as I can tell, the built-in TR support
in 1.3 was broken early on, and not fixed until very recently.

I had no end of problems - normally showing as booting and init'ing the
TR card ok, could ping ok, but any more then that (such as telnet or ftp,
either into or out of the Linux machine) gave a kernel panic.

Compiled up 1.3.72 the other day and it's been running perfectly ever
since.  I'm using a Madge Straight Blue right now but have also used
some older IBM 4/16 cards.

Leonard

2. NT, DOS, and Linux on the same system?

3. IBM Token Ring and Novell on IBM TP A20m?

4. xmkmf, imake, egcs, glibc, linux-2.1.98, XF86-3.3.2

5. IBM Token Ring

6. root at job initiating root process on remote node.

7. Problems with IBM PCMCIA Token Ring-Card

8. Printer job problems (AIX 3.2.5)

9. IBM PCI Token Ring driver

10. SuSE Linux / IBM Token Ring

11. IBM Token-Ring stalling when I start Netscape

12. IBM PCI Token-Ring adapter configuration

13. Driver for IBM pcmcia token ring card