help! taring files larger than 2GB!

Post by NightMa » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 20:31:36

what is the command line for using tar to spliting tar file as 1gb each.

I know multiple volume (-M) to be used, but didn't get that working.

I tried tar -L 100000 -Mcf test.tar /usr

but it is prompt me to continue and if i type 'y' then it continue but make
no files. except the first one. what I am doing wrong here?

/nightman

help! taring files larger than 2GB!

Post by Nuno Carvalh » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 22:16:57

Quote:> what is the command line for using tar to spliting tar file as 1gb each.

> I know multiple volume (-M) to be used, but didn't get that working.

> I tried tar -L 100000 -Mcf test.tar /usr

> but it is prompt me to continue and if i type 'y' then it continue but
make
> no files. except the first one. what I am doing wrong here?

> /nightman

Hi,

You can use the 'split' command, like this :

tar -cf test.tar /usr | split -b1024m

which splits in files with 1024Mb files.

Best regards,

Nuno Carvalho

Post by Jason Well » Sun, 28 Jul 2002 16:05:37

> what is the command line for using tar to spliting tar file as 1gb each.

> I know multiple volume (-M) to be used, but didn't get that working.

> I tried tar -L 100000 -Mcf test.tar /usr

> but it is prompt me to continue and if i type 'y' then it continue but
> make no files. except the first one. what I am doing wrong here?

> /nightman

This will work:

tar -M -L 100000 -cf test1.tar -f test2.tar -f test3.tar (-f testN.tar) /usr

I have done this many times...
You should be able to create 10 tar files at once before tar craps out on
you. As long as you keep it to 10 or less, you should be fine.

Good luck,
        Jason
| Remove the underscores from my address to mail me directly
| SPAM is weak!!!
|
| http://www.jasonw.com

help! taring files larger than 2GB!

Post by NightMa » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 17:02:46

Hi
Great, another question, how do I restore this?
Is it possible to restore a single file? what happens if a file is shared
between 2 tar files?

regards
Nathan

> > what is the command line for using tar to spliting tar file as 1gb each.

> > I know multiple volume (-M) to be used, but didn't get that working.

> > I tried tar -L 100000 -Mcf test.tar /usr

> > but it is prompt me to continue and if i type 'y' then it continue but
> > make no files. except the first one. what I am doing wrong here?

> > /nightman

> This will work:

> tar -M -L 100000 -cf test1.tar -f test2.tar -f test3.tar (-f testN.tar)
/usr

> I have done this many times...
> You should be able to create 10 tar files at once before tar craps out on
> you. As long as you keep it to 10 or less, you should be fine.

> Good luck,
>         Jason
> --
> | Remove the underscores from my address to mail me directly
> | SPAM is weak!!!
> |
> | http://www.jasonw.com

help! taring files larger than 2GB!

Post by NightMa » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 17:04:03

Thanks,
Will tar name the tar files itself with diff. names?

regards
Nathan

> > what is the command line for using tar to spliting tar file as 1gb each.

> > I know multiple volume (-M) to be used, but didn't get that working.

> > I tried tar -L 100000 -Mcf test.tar /usr

> > but it is prompt me to continue and if i type 'y' then it continue but
> make
> > no files. except the first one. what I am doing wrong here?

> > /nightman

> Hi,

> You can use the 'split' command, like this :

> tar -cf test.tar /usr | split -b1024m

> which splits in files with 1024Mb files.

> Best regards,

> Nuno Carvalho

1. Problems taring up files larger than 2GB on Solaris 8

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help?

We are running vertias volume manager 3.5 on a solaris 8 sun V880 box.

I am trying to tar up large amounts of data under volume manager
partitions (not veritas file system).  When the tar (this is using GNU
tar) gets to about 2 GB it bombs out with the following error:

/usr/local/bin/tar: Cannot write to
/data/archive/28_05_03/ver_data_images.tar:
File too large
/usr/local/bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Similar errors are produced with just the normal solaris tar.

I have heard people talk "Is your file system flagged largefile", how
do you check this and how do you change it if, it isn't set for large
files.

thanks

Chris

2. mod_rewrite redirect directories

3. Writing files larger than 2GB from AIX to Solaris

4. lightweight "linux shell" available for win98?

5. Is there a version of gzip that handles files larger than 2GB?

6. Problems installing Linux!

7. Files larger than 2Gb

8. C++

9. Files larger than 2GB (Was Re: ftell/fseek vs. fsetpos/fgetpos)

10. large files (larger than 2GB)?

11. file larger than 2GB

12. HELP! Can I create FAT16 larger than 2GB??

13. Need to create a partition larger than 2GB