Problem copying files with holes to msdos file system

Problem copying files with holes to msdos file system

Post by Fergus James HENDERS » Sun, 25 Oct 1992 15:48:49

I've mounted my DOS partition using "mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /dos",
and most things work fine. But I have had trouble copying some large
from the Minix file system to the DOS file system. When I try to
copy my boot image file across, using "/bin/cp /linux-0.97.1 /dos/linux-97.1",
it goes into an infinite loop. I can't kill the process even with kill -9.
The hard disk is being continually accessed, and performance on the
other virtual consoles is terribly slow. "ls -l /dos/linux-97.1" shows
the file size to be only 3072 bytes.

I think that the problem is probably to do with /bin/cp trying to avoid
copying holes. The work-around is to use cat instead of cp:
"cat < /linux-0.97.1 > /dos/linux-97.1".

Another problem of unknown cause: I tried moving a few large files from
the dos file system to the minix file system using /bin/mv, and the
system spontaneously rebooted in the middle of executing the command.
I don't seem to be having much luck at the moment :-(

--

This .signature virus is a self-referential statement that is true - but
you will only be able to consistently believe it if you copy it to your own

Problem copying files with holes to msdos file system

Post by Werner Almesberg » Sun, 25 Oct 1992 17:56:09

Quote:> I think that the problem is probably to do with /bin/cp trying to avoid
> copying holes. The work-around is to use cat instead of cp:
> "cat < /linux-0.97.1 > /dos/linux-97.1".

Holes were a problem in version 0.6 (and probably also in one or two
earlier versions) of the MS-DOS FS. I'd suggest upgrading to the
0.98pl1 kernel (or 0.98pl3 when it is out) if you're using the MS-DOS
FS on a regular basis. There were several * bugs that got fixed
since then.

If you can't or don't want to update the kernel, avoid the following
operations on MS-DOS file systems:

  - creation of holes (avoid cp)
  - renaming of files accross directories (within the MS-DOS FS)
    (use cat and rm)
  - renaming of directories (MS-DOS wouldn't let you do that
    anyway ;-)

The latter two operations can cause FS corruptions and kernel panics
in older versions of the MS-DOS FS.

- Werner

Problem copying files with holes to msdos file system

Post by Linus Torval » Sun, 25 Oct 1992 18:52:15

Quote:>I've mounted my DOS partition using "mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /dos",
>and most things work fine. But I have had trouble copying some large
>from the Minix file system to the DOS file system. When I try to
>copy my boot image file across, using "/bin/cp /linux-0.97.1 /dos/linux-97.1",
>it goes into an infinite loop. I can't kill the process even with kill -9.
>The hard disk is being continually accessed, and performance on the
>other virtual consoles is terribly slow. "ls -l /dos/linux-97.1" shows
>the file size to be only 3072 bytes.

You are right: older versions of the msdos fs have problems with holes
in files.  The easy solution is to upgrade: 0.98.x shouldn't have this
bug.

Quote:>Another problem of unknown cause: I tried moving a few large files from
>the dos file system to the minix file system using /bin/mv, and the
>system spontaneously rebooted in the middle of executing the command.
>I don't seem to be having much luck at the moment :-(

This one too seems to be gone: I just copied over 1M+ files with 'mv' to
check it out, and it doesn't happen for me.  Upgrade time.

                Linus

1. Can msdos file system handle double space DOS file system ?

Just wonder whether the msdos file system in Linux can handle double
space DOS system.  I have a double space DOS disk partition.  When I mount
the partition with msdos file system, I only see top level DOS files.
I would like to access the regular DOS files.  I have linux 1.3.2 kernel.
Can any new kernel handle that ?

Hsing Yuan

2. term programs

3. Copying files with holes in them, without filling the holes

4. How do you install BRCFG?

5. Promiscuous mode

6. copy umsdos file system to ext2 file system

7. 2.4.21pre2aa2

8. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

9. Mount, read or extract files from a floppy image file (MSDOS) under Unix system

10. Swap file on an msdos or nfs file system.

11. Copying files across file systems

12. to copy file from remote file system