help with /sbin and /usr/sbin permissions

help with /sbin and /usr/sbin permissions

Post by melme » Sun, 15 Apr 2001 14:37:42

OS: Redhat 7.0
I accidentally chmod 700 /sbin and /usr/sbin, now a non-root user tries to
sendmail and gets permission denied on sendmail. So I chmod 755 on
/usr/sbin/sendmail, but then it couldn't write queue files.

Anyone knows how to restore the permission for /sbin and /usr/sbin? Thanks.

Kenny

help with /sbin and /usr/sbin permissions

Post by Bit Twist » Sun, 15 Apr 2001 23:20:46

chmod 755 /sbin
chmod 755 /usr
chmod 755 /usr/sbin

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

help with /sbin and /usr/sbin permissions

Post by melme » Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:04:50

does that mean all users can exceute /sbin and /usr/sbin? Can someone send
me a "ls -la" of /sbin and /usr/sbin please?
 BTW, I did chmod these 3 directories and same thing happens:
 Can't create transcript file ./xff3F0xp101866: Permission denied
queueup: cannot create queue temp file ./tff3F0xp101866, uid=501: Permission
denied

Post by Bit Twist » Tue, 17 Apr 2001 00:39:46

>does that mean all users can exceute /sbin and /usr/sbin?

        That lets them into the directory.
        Perms on the files can reduce their privs.
        Code within the exe can reduce their privs.

Quote:> Can someone send me a "ls -la" of /sbin and /usr/sbin please?

Quote:> BTW, I did chmod these 3 directories and same thing happens:
> Can't create transcript file ./xff3F0xp101866: Permission denied
>queueup: cannot create queue temp file ./tff3F0xp101866, uid=501: Permission
>denied

        I would be impressed that an exe would be creating temp files
        in /sbin or /usr/sbin

        ./xff3F0xp101866
        ^

        `------ indicates current directory. Are you in /sbin
                                             running code?

You might try       rpm -Va | grep '..5' > /tmp/verify
and see what changed in /tmp/verify