RESTRICTED shell for anonymous login - where ?

RESTRICTED shell for anonymous login - where ?

Post by Chris Vett » Tue, 03 Aug 1993 20:48:04

Well, the subject says it all.

I'm looking for rsh, that is, a restricted shell for anonymous ftp
and/or guests logging in.

Rsh, which comes w/ the system, is a remote shell, which won't work,
of course.

Is there a shell out there or do I have to recompile a shell for
my purpose ?

thanx in advance,
Chris

Post by spk » Mon, 09 Aug 1993 05:28:51

: I'm looking for rsh, that is, a restricted shell for anonymous ftp
: and/or guests logging in.

: Rsh, which comes w/ the system, is a remote shell, which won't work,
: of course.

I read from other newsgroup that sh will act as restricted shell if it
is invoked with argv[0]=="rsh". This means that if you link /bin/sh with
the different name "rsh", it may work. (I never try this)

Regards,
spk

1. restricted shell/restricting login

A while ago I posted a question about how to restrict logins to our
ultrix systems.  Someone sent me a C or shell script which I'm
embarassed to say I've misplaced.  I think is was called "syslogin".
Please re-send it to me, whoever you are (were).

Here's the problem I wish to solve:

What I want to do is split the modem pool into 2 numbers - one for
students and one for faculty/staff.

I want to the login procedure to check which terminal server a connection
is coming from.  The procedure should then check the account and see if that
account is entitled to connect from that terminal server...if so,
then continue normally, if not then print a message like "Please dial
the number xxx-xxxx".

We have DEC terminal servers (I don't wish to use lat groups) and
Ultrix 4.2a.

I'm certain I'm not re-inventing the wheel here.  Any comments, suggestions
and pointers are most welcome.

Thanks in advance...
-

Trent University Computing & Telecommunications  tel: (705)748-1540
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada, K9J 7B8           fax: (705)748-1246

2. QUESTION RE: Integrated Development Environment IDE

3. Nice Shell Script For Restricting Multiple Login Sessions

4. xmodmap

5. X logins & Restricted Shell (rsh5 or rksh)

6. Help! Problems creating boot disk with SAR...

7. restricted login shell for linux

8. JOB POSTING: Seeking experienced JAVA enterprise developer for

9. Starting a restricted shell from login..... how?

10. Restricted shell for logins?

11. Restricting Shell from SSH login

12. login from Web-browser with a restricted shell

13. how to restrict maximum login attempts for a restricted website in apache server