Is there a freeware/GPL database available

Is there a freeware/GPL database available

Post by Mike Darre » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 08:14:58

... similar to Oracle or M$ Access, that runs on Linux?

Mike

Post by Retl » Mon, 17 Dec 2001 01:05:24

> ... similar to Oracle or M$ Access, that runs on Linux?

There's PostgreSQL, which is more or less comparable with Oracle, and
there's MySQL, which is a smaller/lighter dbms with less capability.
By the way, you will get a much quicker answer to questions like this
by just doing a Google search for terms like "database gpl" instead of
by posting messages to a newsgroup.

Is there a freeware/GPL database available

Post by Tim Hammerquis » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 18:46:06

Quote:> [ Is there a freeware/GPL database available ] similar to Oracle
> or M$ Access, that runs on Linux?

I like MySQL. Oracle is also quite good.

When did MS Access go Free (beer *or* speech)?

Tim Hammerquist
--
Tegan's always being posessed! She just wants attention.
    -- Adric, Doctor Who

Is there a freeware/GPL database available

Post by Terry Port » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 04:51:44

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 09:46:06 GMT, Tim Hammerquist in article

>> [ Is there a freeware/GPL database available ] similar to Oracle
>> or M$ Access, that runs on Linux?

>I like MySQL. Oracle is also quite good.

So is Postgresql

Quote:

>When did MS Access go Free (beer *or* speech)?

It didn't for either case.

--
                 _
               .' `.              Free Micro Burner
               |a_a|   http://w3w.arafuraconnect.com.au/~tp/burn.html
  Debian       \ V /
  2.2.20      /(   )\      Linux Registration Number: 103931
             |\`> < /\           http://counter.li.org
             \_|=='|_/
* OSS is long-term credible ... FUD tactics can not be used to combat it.

1. "Freeware" vs. GPL

    I was wondering if anyone could either explain (or point to a web
site URL that does), in brief and consise terms (without having to read
through multi-page legal documents), the jist of the difference between
"freeware" and software covered under the GPL?

    For example... if I wanted to distribute an application, make its
source readily available, and give anyone permission to modify and even
profit from it SO LONG AS THEY GIVE ME RECOGNITION AS BEING AN ORIGINAL
SOURCE... would that be a freeware app or an app falling within the
guidelines of the GPL?

    Also, is there anything "special" you need to do for covering an
application under the GPL... or simply declare that it is so?

Steve

2. Compiler option suggestions for best optimization under Athlon?

3. GPL - I am a bit confused

4. ELF shared libs and mmap.

5. freeware database software

6. are there linux-newsgroups in German Language???

7. Freeware SQL database for Linux?

8. Can't mount cdrom

9. Any Goods GPL'ed Database Recommendation

10. Freeware UNIX databases and security

11. <<Looking for a freeware database for Solaris>>

12. GPL Enterprise Database System in Ada

13. freeware database for solaris 2.6