linux headers location?

Post by Jean-Paul Thuo » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 06:01:27

I'm trying to configure vmware, and it says:

"What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
running kernel?"

I am running kernel 2.4.9-31, but /usr/src only has linux-2.4.9-13 as a
directory.  Where do I find the answer to this question?

I'm running RedHat 7.2.

TIA

Jean-Paul

--
-------
I have found the missing link between ape and human: it is us.

(to reply, remove the whiterabbit)

linux headers location?

Post by Joost Kremer » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 06:08:05

> I'm trying to configure vmware, and it says:

> "What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
> running kernel?"

> I am running kernel 2.4.9-31, but /usr/src only has linux-2.4.9-13 as a
> directory.  Where do I find the answer to this question?

the normal place is /usr/src/linux, which is usually a sym-link to
/usr/src/linux-<version>.

if you compiled your kernel yourself, you should know where the header
files are: they're in the kernel source tree. if (god forbid) you
installed your kernel with rpm, then they could be anywhere or
nowhere... check the kernel rpm if it lists them (IIRC `rpm -qf'). if
they're not in there, there may be a kernel source rpm, or an rpm with
the kernel header files.

HTH

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

http://baserv.uci.kun.nl/~jkremers

linux headers location?

Post by Jean-Paul Thuo » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 06:29:09

>> I'm trying to configure vmware, and it says:

>> "What is the location of the directory of C header files that match
>> your running kernel?"

>> I am running kernel 2.4.9-31, but /usr/src only has linux-2.4.9-13 as a
>> directory.  Where do I find the answer to this question?

> the normal place is /usr/src/linux, which is usually a sym-link to
> /usr/src/linux-<version>.

> if you compiled your kernel yourself, you should know where the header
> files are: they're in the kernel source tree. if (god forbid) you
> installed your kernel with rpm, then they could be anywhere or
> nowhere... check the kernel rpm if it lists them (IIRC `rpm -qf'). if
> they're not in there, there may be a kernel source rpm, or an rpm with
> the kernel header files.

> HTH

Well, I guess that explains it.  I think I had up2date install the newer
kernel via rpm, and rpm -qf kernel only gives me the older kernel source.

I think I'll just go back to the older version, and remove the newer.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Jean-Paul
--
-------

Post by Joost Kremer » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 07:31:58

>> I'm trying to configure vmware, and it says:

>> "What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
>> running kernel?"

>> I am running kernel 2.4.9-31, but /usr/src only has linux-2.4.9-13 as a
>> directory.  Where do I find the answer to this question?

>> I'm running RedHat 7.2.

> why in the world is VMware asking that !?!??!
> i've never had that asked of me ?!?!?

perhaps because you have your header files in the place where they
usually are: /usr/src/linux/. vmware probably looks there before
asking.

--

Post by cef » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 21:36:39

>> "What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
>> running kernel?"

>> I am running kernel 2.4.9-31, but /usr/src only has linux-2.4.9-13 as a
>> directory.  Where do I find the answer to this question?

> the normal place is /usr/src/linux, which is usually a sym-link to
> /usr/src/linux-<version>.

There has been a lot of discussion about the location of headers that the
system uses, and the kernel uses. It's a bone of contention between kernel
developers (eg: Linus, Alan, etc) and the distribution makers/app
developers that require system headers.

One view is that the kernel headers on the system should match the running
kernel. Another view is that the kernel headers should match the kernel
that the system was installed with, as the apps that may depend on them.
Each view has it's merits, but knowing them doesn't solve your problem. You
could probably just install the "kernel-headers-2.4.9-31" package and this
would solve all your problems.

Hope this helps.

--
 Cef