virtual consoles/pty's

Post by Joseph Knap » Sat, 18 Apr 1992 15:46:10

Here's a silly question: When I boot linux, it says "8 virtual
consoles, 4 ptys". I know what ptys are, I think -- the guys I get to
by alt-f[1-4]. So my question is, "What, exactly, is the difference
between a pty and a virtual console?"

Thanks,

virtual consoles/pty's

Post by Drew Eckhar » Sat, 18 Apr 1992 18:43:24

>Here's a silly question: When I boot linux, it says "8 virtual
>consoles, 4 ptys". I know what ptys are, I think -- the guys I get to
>by alt-f[1-4]. So my question is, "What, exactly, is the difference

Nope. ALT-Fn selects virtual console n, which is /dev/tty[n].

Quote:>between a pty and a virtual console?"

A pty is a "Pseudo TeletYpe".  It lets you give a pipe to something that
expects to have a "real" tty attached to it, such as most editors,
an xterm, etc.  There are master (/dev/ptyp[n]) and slave ends
(/dev/ttyp[n]) to it.  One program can open a master end, and other programs
can read / write to the slave end to get / send to the master.

A virtual console is a console... that is virtual - so you can have
multiple terminal sessions on one physical console.  Basically, it's
indistringuishable from any other tty device.

virtual consoles/pty's

Post by Joseph Knap » Sun, 19 Apr 1992 01:07:08

>>Here's a silly question: When I boot linux, it says "8 virtual
>>consoles, 4 ptys". I know what ptys are, I think -- the guys I get to
>>by alt-f[1-4]. So my question is, "What, exactly, is the difference

>Nope. ALT-Fn selects virtual console n, which is /dev/tty[n].

So that means I have eight virtual consoles available, but I can only
use four of them with Alt-Fkey sequences... how can I use vc's 5 thru 8?

Thanks^2,

Joseph

virtual consoles/pty's

Post by Joseph Knap » Sun, 19 Apr 1992 01:16:24

Quote:

>>Nope. ALT-Fn selects virtual console n, which is /dev/tty[n].

>So that means I have eight virtual consoles available, but I can only
>use four of them with Alt-Fkey sequences... how can I use vc's 5 thru 8?

>Thanks^2,

>Joseph

Sorry to reply to myself, but a little expirimentation revealed that
the answer is, "You use the getty program to enable logins on the
other vc's, and then use Alt-F[5-8] to get to them..."

Joseph

1. selection-1.1 available, cut'n'paste for virtual consoles

I have released a new version of selection, the utility that allows you to
copy and paste text between virtual consoles using the mouse. There may still
be some out there like me who can't run X and who would like some consolation.

Changes from version 1.0:

 -  support for most common serial mouse types, hopefully.
 -  selection by word or line as well as by character.
 -  changes in the interface to make it behave more like xterm.
 -  patches are against 0.96a (with first patch from Linus installed).

This version comes with a test program so you can see if your mouse is
compatible without having to patch and rebuild the kernel. Perhaps it will
help some who are having problems with mice under X or MGR. I took some code
fragments from X386 to handle different mouse protocols.

Available at: banjo.concert.net in pub/Linux/Incoming/selection-1.1.tar.Z

Also sent to ftp-mail at tsx-11.mit.edu, will probably appear in
pub/linux/patches/selection-1.1.tar.Z at some point.

----

GEC-Marconi Research | Tel: +44 245 73331 x.3283 | Telex: 995016 GECRES G

2. Shrinking /usr-filesystem (no help from one FAQ)

3. Why don't console message appear in my ``console'' window?

4. Running SCO X11 shared libs under linux/iBCS2

5. 'all network ports in use' or 'no pty available' solution

6. port forwarding troubles with 3 nics

7. creating a new virtual console alongside existing vt100 consoles

8. Mac TCP/IP viewer for Linux

9. Xinside's Xaccel and multiple graphics virtual consoles

10. Gnome and virtual consoles don't work with suspend.on Dell Latitude?

11. Virtual Consoles - Can't seem to switch

12. Remote controlling what's on a virtual console

13. Can't find free virtual console for X?