Capture an X-window as a .jpg or .png or (if I must) a .gif

Capture an X-window as a .jpg or .png or (if I must) a .gif

Post by Jeff Silverma » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:07:11

Is it possible to capture an X-windows as an image and convert it to a
.JPEG, .PNG, or, if nothing else, a .Gif?  I guess if I have it in a
.Gif, I can run ImageMagic to convert it to something else.  If is
possible, what tool do I use to do so?  I am running KDE 3.0 under RH7.3.

Many thanks,

Jeff

Post by Shashank R » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 19:26:25

> Is it possible to capture an X-windows as an image and convert it to a
> .JPEG, .PNG, or, if nothing else, a .Gif?  I guess if I have it in a
> .Gif, I can run ImageMagic to convert it to something else.  If is
> possible, what tool do I use to do so?  I am running KDE 3.0 under RH7.3.

u can use a command line utility "xwd", then convert the image to any
format of your choice. I genereally use "xwdtopnm" and then
"pnmtopng".

shashank

Quote:

Post by Sybren Stuve » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 19:49:36

Capture an X-window as a .jpg or .png or (if I must) a .gif

Post by Ard » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 22:38:07

On Tuesday 12 November 2002 06:07 a carbon-based life form known as Jeff

> Is it possible to capture an X-windows as an image and convert it to a
> .JPEG, .PNG, or, if nothing else, a .Gif?  I guess if I have it in a
> .Gif, I can run ImageMagic to convert it to something else.  If is
> possible, what tool do I use to do so?  I am running KDE 3.0 under
> RH7.3.

> Many thanks,

> Jeff

Easy .... open up a console and type "import -window root blabla.png"
without the quotes, hit enter and you're done
--

Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them ?

Post by mjt » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 06:37:23

> Is it possible to capture an X-windows as an image and convert it to a
> .JPEG, .PNG, or, if nothing else, a .Gif?  I guess if I have it in a
> .Gif, I can run ImageMagic to convert it to something else.  If is
> possible, what tool do I use to do so?  I am running KDE 3.0 under RH7.3.

..... use ksnapshot .... you can capture the screen or a window and
put a timeout on it (i used it for my books) ....

1. PNG binaries available - convert GIF images to PNG and PNG <-> PNM

Linux binaries for pnmtopng, pngtopnm, and gif2png are available at:
    http://www.universe.digex.net/~dave/files/pngstuff.tgz
If you have trouble dowloading that, see
    http://www.universe.digex.net/~dave/files/index.html
for helpful instructions.

PNG is the image format that renders GIF obsolete.  It is perfect in
every way.  For details on that, you can visit the PNG home page at:
    http://www.wco.com/~png/

The only shared libraries you need are libc and libm; all of the
others are linked statically.

The README is appended.

- -- DWF

This archive contains Linux binaries for pnmtopng, pngtopnm, and

I did not write any of this software; please see the files
README.gif2png and pnmtopng.copyright to read the authors' copyright
notices.

This software is provided 'as-is,' without any express or implied
warranty.  In no event will the authors or I be held liable for any
damages arising from the use of this software, and it is not
guaranteed to be stable or correct in any way.  So there.

I used the versions of everything that were publicly available as of
1997-04-06:

    pnmtopng-2.34
    gif2png 0.6 (beta)
    zlib-1.0.4 (statically linked)
    libpng-0.90 (statically linked)
    netpbm-1mar1994 (statically linked)

The only shared library dependencies for these binaries are the usual
libc and libm.

Credits to everybody:  pnmtopng / pngtopnm is by Alexander Lehmann

a cast of thousands.  The PNG specification is by a committee of the

For more information on PNG, see <URL:http://www.wco.com/~png/>.  To
download the original distributions, see
<URL:http://www.wco.com/~png/pngcode.html>.

- -- DWF, 1997-04-06

- --

2. Converting from NT4 to Linux

3. converting powerpoint to gif/jpg/png?

4. If QUOTA works for you, please read.....

5. capturing Desktop from X to a .gif or .jpg file

6. DIP Scripts

7. root window background from a jpg/gif

8. Disk image -> file?

9. gif/jpg in xdm login window?

10. How can I convert X-window screendumps to tiff,gif or jpeg

11. Image gif under X-window

12. Why Mozilla dosen't show images ( jpg and png )

13. Q: wmf->png/jpg converter