Questions about Linux from a prospective user.

Questions about Linux from a prospective user.

Post by Corey Carro » Tue, 20 Oct 1992 03:58:11

The more I use Unix on our little Unix system here in Dallas, the
more I HATE Dos, and long for an implementation of Unix on my
little PC.

I was wondering, how easy is it to shut Linux down?  Relatively
easy?  Does it take 5 minutes?  What is it like?  I'm afraid I
might encounter a blackout and lose data before the system syncs
it out.

--

Post by Bob Kirkpatri » Wed, 21 Oct 1992 02:20:30

> The more I use Unix on our little Unix system here in Dallas, the
> more I HATE Dos, and long for an implementation of Unix on my
> little PC.

> I was wondering, how easy is it to shut Linux down?  Relatively
> easy?  Does it take 5 minutes?  What is it like?  I'm afraid I
> might encounter a blackout and lose data before the system syncs
> it out.

Hitting the power switch isn't a good idea for any unix. However,
Linux seems to be the most tolerant of any unii out there. Halt
will stop the system in about 10 seconds or so, and I have hit
ctl-alt-delete quite a few times, with no apparent damage. (I
am NOT saying that this is a good idea!) I've also suffered a
power outtage in the middle of a tar extract, and the big deal
there was starting it over again to make sure I didn't have a
partial file somewhere.

---

Dog Ear'd Systems of Spokane, WA

Post by Rafal Kustra (summer stude » Wed, 21 Oct 1992 11:45:36

>The more I use Unix on our little Unix system here in Dallas, the
>more I HATE Dos, and long for an implementation of Unix on my
>little PC.

>I was wondering, how easy is it to shut Linux down?  Relatively
>easy?  Does it take 5 minutes?  What is it like?  I'm afraid I
>might encounter a blackout and lose data before the system syncs
>it out.

>--

It usually takes me 1min. That used to be 10 sec, mind
you, before I installed xdm. In that old days I would say
sync, Cntr-d, and then switch it off. Now with xdm, I
just exit it, wait till I hear update (or 1 min) and
switch it off.
Off course, I am very unsophisticated user, and the only
one, so it suffices. With programs like shutdown (in your
favourite distribution) things are more proffesional.
Update usually kicks in every 30 secs.
So welcome to the Linux club ....

                                Rafal

--
/|| " Numbers exist only in our minds. There is no physical entity that
==== steady stream of mathematicians gazing at 1 in wonder and awe. "

Post by Curtis Yarv » Wed, 21 Oct 1992 12:06:25

>>The more I use Unix on our little Unix system here in Dallas, the
>>more I HATE Dos, and long for an implementation of Unix on my
>>little PC.

>>I was wondering, how easy is it to shut Linux down?  Relatively
>>easy?

There's a shutdown program distributed, but it doesn't seem
real flexible; it waits a couple minutes.

Someone should do Unix-style shutdown and rc scripts.

A related question: is Linux fsck reliable?  That is,
after a power failure am I always guaranteed that fsck
will fix the damage?

Post by Jerry Gais » Thu, 22 Oct 1992 01:18:01

>>>The more I use Unix on our little Unix system here in Dallas, the
>>>more I HATE Dos, and long for an implementation of Unix on my
>>>little PC.

>>>I was wondering, how easy is it to shut Linux down?  Relatively
>>>easy?

>There's a shutdown program distributed, but it doesn't seem
>real flexible; it waits a couple minutes.

Hmmm... Try 'shutdown now'. You will get an immediate shutdown.
--
Jerry Gaiser                         NO on 9

        Fidonet: 1:105/380

Post by Elmar Fol » Thu, 22 Oct 1992 05:19:35

>There's a shutdown program distributed, but it doesn't seem
>real flexible; it waits a couple minutes.

... unless you call it with the parameter 'now'!
Quote:>Someone should do Unix-style shutdown and rc scripts.

Yes. Someone should. I try imagining Linus, back some time last summer,
saying 'someone should write a proper U*X for the PC'...
(got the message?)
Quote:>A related question: is Linux fsck reliable?  That is,
>after a power failure am I always guaranteed that fsck
>will fix the damage?

From what I gathered from c.o.l over the last 10 months or so, no, not
absolutely, reliably and everytime. Pity. But please don't start a 'Someone
should ...' again.

--
Kind regards,                   Elmar Folba
                                Hamburg, Germany

Questions about Linux from a prospective user.

Post by Anthony Love » Thu, 22 Oct 1992 19:35:40

I just type halt and it stops

anthony

Post by Caleb Epste » Fri, 23 Oct 1992 07:12:32

>There's a shutdown program distributed, but it doesn't seem
>real flexible; it waits a couple minutes.

>Someone should do Unix-style shutdown and rc scripts.

    Huh?  Shutdown works UNIX style for me.  Try these:

        shutdown -r now         # reboots system ASAP
        shutdown -h now         # halts system ASAP
        shutdown -r +5          # reboots in 5 minutes

--

[      Someone's definitely jumping into the tub ... with your brother!       ]

Post by Kendall Whitlat » Sun, 25 Oct 1992 00:13:43

|There's a shutdown program distributed, but it doesn't seem
|real flexible; it waits a couple minutes.

You can make it shutdown immediately if you use "shutdown now".
It only takes 10 seconds or so that way.

|A related question: is Linux fsck reliable?  That is,
|after a power failure am I always guaranteed that fsck
|will fix the damage?

I wasn't aware that SunOS's fsck guaranteed to fix damaged data on disks.
(My workstation uses SunOS.  It's the only other unix I know of.)
Then again I'm not fully conversant with fsck's capabilities.

1. Prospective Linux user - Paper documentation for Linux

Hi all,

Depending on whether I do my upgrade year to degree or manage to get my =
career started, I intend to get a spare box to learn Unix management on. =
 With this current piece of kit, some serious upgrading would need to be =
done - I made the mistake of going with an Iomega 800 tape drive, and it =
would be a bugger rebuilding the kit, and as my mother funded the =
machine (yeah, it's a W95 box), I'm leaving it alone for now.

I have only touched on Linux/Unix, most of my knowledge is DOS/Win, W95, =
Novell Netware 4, and a little VMS - most of this as a user, as I have =
not had a decent machine at home except since 1996.  Did a simple =
install of RedHat 3.03 onto a University box, and got TCP/IP running as =
an assessed practical, but am at present more at home with NetWare thru =
NWADMIN.

Someone mentioned that RedHat was about the best one for someone used to =
the big corporate OSs to come across to, and as they mentioned something =
about it being very SVR4, would I be able to use pretty much any good =
big SVR4 manuals?  I'm used to printed documentation.

Or should FreeBSD be a better option?

Anyway, could someone advise me on how much it would cost to get an =
unlimited-user Linux licence, along with a 2-pack for Applix?

How does licensing work under Linux anyway?

Thanks,

Alex Cockell (another prospective user)

29 Egremont Road, Exmouth, Devon EX8 1RX, UK                    Phone   : +44 (0)1395 =
279970

2. RH 5.2 and sound support

3. Stock Red Hat 7 kernel compile fails.

4. NetBSD DOSEMU -- questions from a prospective NetBSD user

5. MS-Word processor vs. StarOffice Writer

6. "Touch" - prospective user question

7. Defend yourself against the Windoze Gestapo

8. Another issue (from a *prospective* Linux user)

9. Error in Linux FAQ, whats a prospective user to do?

10. My last posting - I am a PROSPECTIVE user; no Linux access here...

11. My previous threads - I am a prospective user.

12. Touch thread - prospective user