Networking: Windows 2000 & Linux machines.

Networking: Windows 2000 & Linux machines.

Post by E » Thu, 09 May 2002 18:08:38

Does anyone know of any good on-line guides for networking a Linux PC
and a Windows 2000 machine using just a cross-over cable?
Do I require Samba for just simple file transfers?
Internet connection sharing?
Would this be done with TCP/IP or NetBEUI protocols?
How much must I learn about IP sub-net stuff?

Thank you for any pointers!

Post by Tavis » Thu, 09 May 2002 23:57:23

> Does anyone know of any good on-line guides for networking a Linux PC
> and a Windows 2000 machine using just a cross-over cable?
> Do I require Samba for just simple file transfers?
> Internet connection sharing?
> Would this be done with TCP/IP or NetBEUI protocols?
> How much must I learn about IP sub-net stuff?

> Thank you for any pointers!

I don't have the good follow link that would lead to the document, but
I found that http://www.linuxworld.com has many good "How To" articals
reguarding mixed platforms.

Tavis Hanson

Post by mjt » Thu, 09 May 2002 23:57:45

> Does anyone know of any good on-line guides for networking a Linux PC
> and a Windows 2000 machine using just a cross-over cable?
> Do I require Samba for just simple file transfers?
> Internet connection sharing?
> Would this be done with TCP/IP or NetBEUI protocols?
> How much must I learn about IP sub-net stuff?

are you talking about using a serial, parallel, or NIC ????

--
+==================================
+==================================

Post by E » Fri, 10 May 2002 14:06:06

> > Does anyone know of any good on-line guides for networking a Linux PC
> > and a Windows 2000 machine using just a cross-over cable?
> are you talking about using a serial, parallel, or NIC ????

NIC, cat5 crossover cable.

Again, any tutorial suggestions / help greatly appreciated!

1. Networking Linux Redhat 8.0 & Windows 2000 Pro On Dynamic Based Network

   Anyone happen to know where I can find information on networking a Redhat
8.0 machine with a Windows 2000 machine on a network where:

Windows 2000 sees internal LAN fine
Windows 2000 sees outside world fine

Windows 2000 obtains IP address automatically
Windows 2000 obtains DNS server address automatically
DHCP Enabled

In an environment where linux wants to have its own static ip number and
specified domain name, how do i get it to share its hard drive contents with
this windows 2000 machine?

Anyone got any helpful ideas or websites??? Help is much appreciated..

Thomas Jackson

2. Large disk

3. SAMBA, SMB I'm lost and so is my windows 2000 machine on linux network

4. Does ftp daemon in SUN Solaris 2.6 support RESUME function?

5. Wishlists for Linux AND Windows 2000 (was Re: Wishlists for Linux (vs) Windows 2000)

6. system reboot (was: crontab script reboot)

7. Linux, Windows 2000 & Windows 98 on one Disk

8. mod_perl and tie

9. "Undeletable Files in Windows 2000 && Linux.

10. Linux 2.4.7-pre5 & vfat short file names & Windows 2000

11. SANE 2000 - May 22-25, 2000 (2nd Int'l System Administration & Networking Conference)

12. Windows NT 2000 & Linux (Turbo Linux)