Creating first two LINUX disks with UNIX DD command

Creating first two LINUX disks with UNIX DD command

Post by robert gru » Wed, 03 Mar 1993 15:54:17

Hello LINUX users.  I am about to install LINUX, and have just completed
downloading disks A1 - A4, X1 - X8, B1 - B7.  I have two questions.

First, I have access to a UNIX machine, where I can copy my files to floppies.
The command I use is:
                      mount -t pcfs /dev/fd00a /fd
                      cp /u/crgruen/filename /fd/filename
                      umount /fd
                      eject
My question is, since the first two disks have to be rawwritten or you have to
use the UNIX dd command how do I use the dd command (I am new to UNIX).  Would
I just remove the line "cp /u/crgruen/filename /fd/filename" and insert:
                      dd /u/crgruen/filename /fd/filename
or do I need to specify file conversions or block sizes or something?

Second, will it be easier to configure if I just install the first four disks
and get them running and then go back and do the rest later?  Or will it be
easier to install them all at once?

Could you please Email any advice?

Thanks In Advance For Any Help!!!!!

Bob Gruen

Post by Frank Gleas » Thu, 04 Mar 1993 06:31:14

>Hello LINUX users.  I am about to install LINUX, and have just completed
>downloading disks A1 - A4, X1 - X8, B1 - B7.  I have two questions.
>First, I have access to a UNIX machine, where I can copy my files to floppies.
>The command I use is:
>                      mount -t pcfs /dev/fd00a /fd
>                      cp /u/crgruen/filename /fd/filename
>                      umount /fd
>                      eject
>My question is, since the first two disks have to be rawwritten or you have to
>use the UNIX dd command how do I use the dd command (I am new to UNIX).  Would
>I just remove the line "cp /u/crgruen/filename /fd/filename" and insert:
>                      dd /u/crgruen/filename /fd/filename
>or do I need to specify file conversions or block sizes or something?

You can continue to use the cp command if you want. dd does not add
anything to the basic process of moving the bytes to disk. I prefer

                       cat filename >/dev/fdname

but that is just personal preferance. The dd syntax is

                       dd if=filename of=/dev/fdname

Quote:>Thanks In Advance For Any Help!!!!!
>Bob Gruen

Frank Gleason

Post by Dennis Har » Fri, 05 Mar 1993 01:44:18

|> Hello LINUX users.  I am about to install LINUX, and have just completed
|> downloading disks A1 - A4, X1 - X8, B1 - B7.  I have two questions.
|>
|> First, I have access to a UNIX machine, where I can copy my files to floppies.
|> The command I use is:
|>                      mount -t pcfs /dev/fd00a /fd
|>                      cp /u/crgruen/filename /fd/filename
|>                      umount /fd
|>                      eject
|> My question is, since the first two disks have to be rawwritten or you have to
|> use the UNIX dd command how do I use the dd command (I am new to UNIX).

Try this:

dd if=a1 of=/dev/fd00a bs=16k

to write the a1 disk to the diskette in the drive with device name /dev/fd00a.

-- dlh

Post by william E Davids » Fri, 05 Mar 1993 23:21:10

| Try this:
|
| dd if=a1 of=/dev/fd00a bs=16k

  I think you have a typo there, if you are writing to a raw disk (char
device, available under most commercial unices) you want bs=18k for
1.44, bs=15k for 1.2. Use of other sizes with the raw device will hurt
performance a bit. Use of the block device will eliminate this, but is
slower on many systems (and faster on a few, go figure).

--
bill davidsen, GE Corp. R&D Center; Box 8; Schenectady NY 12345
    Windows NT is a *great* program!

1. dual boot, two disks, linux first, w2k second

Very simple problem:

I'm sure this is a faq but I can't find the answer. I have linux only
(redhat 7.1) on my current disk, and I want to add Windows 2000 to a
new, second disk and dual boot.  I am having a heck of a time getting
this done.  Has anyone seen this procedure. Thats basically linux
first, Windows second on a different disk. Surely that can be done??

Will

2. Running out of processes with linux/apache

3. Are two swap partitions on two disks better (faster) than one?

4. Solaris Init Sequence?

5. Using "dd" to create a boot disk?

6. Terrific Internet Startup Opportunity in NYC

7. dd to create system-disk

8. Please recommand some good books on Unix

9. dd command: extract single files out of a dd-file

10. Swap+File System on IDE: One Fast Disk or Two Disks?

11. two swap disks versus one swap disk

12. Can one clone/mirror an OS disk with "dd" ?

13. how to write bootloader - or - how to dd first 446 bytes of disc