Network problems with 0.99pl12+

Post by Pramod C. Jo » Thu, 02 Sep 1993 01:00:28

Hi,
        I have been trying to compile the kernel with the options enabled
for the wd80x3 series of ethernet cards.  Initially I tried to get it work
using the 0 options in /net/inet/CONFIG for autodetect.  When that failed
I put in the actual settings on the card, and it still does not work.  My old
kernel pl11 works fine.  This was compiled using gcc2.4.5.

At boot time this is what I get:

eth0:wd80x3 at 0x300, 00 00 c0 ff 92 53, wd80x3 shared memory at 0xcc000-
0xcffff.

Then later in the boot sequence I get the error

SIOADDRT: Network is unreachable.

Any thoughts anyone ?

Thanks,

Pramod John

--
Pramod John, Dept. of ECE at UIUC

"Blessed are the peacemakers"- Jesus Christ

Network problems with 0.99pl12+

Post by Andreas Lem » Thu, 02 Sep 1993 05:20:44

Quote:>Hi,
>    I have been trying to compile the kernel with the options enabled
>for the wd80x3 series of ethernet cards.  Initially I tried to get it work
>using the 0 options in /net/inet/CONFIG for autodetect.  When that failed
>I put in the actual settings on the card, and it still does not work.  My old
>kernel pl11 works fine.  This was compiled using gcc2.4.5.
>At boot time this is what I get:
>eth0:wd80x3 at 0x300, 00 00 c0 ff 92 53, wd80x3 shared memory at 0xcc000-
>0xcffff.
>Then later in the boot sequence I get the error
>SIOADDRT: Network is unreachable.
>Any thoughts anyone ?
>Thanks,
>Pramod John

The SAME goes for me. There were a few articles describing this symptom
but none helped (me). I played around with almost every file in
/conf/net. I am using pl12 from the slackware distribution. The 'funny'
thing is that before that I upgraded everything by hand from an old pl9
to pl10 and the net-2 distr. and I got my net working within half an hour.
I saved my etc and conf files before installing the slackware and
restored everything in single steps carefully thinking about each change,
but: no way!
I also changed the order of the lo and eth0 configuration, but it did
not help.
ifconfig shows that eth0 is up but every route regarding eth0 yields to
the message mentioned above.

Thanks,

Andreas

1. Network problem on SLS .99pl12 (Network is unreachable)

Hello Linuxers,

I try to install networking in SLS .99pl12. I've installed packages a + b1 (that includes tcpip). I then modified the file /etc/hosts like this:

146.136.1.99    modem1
146.136.1.0     network

I set /etc/host to modem1
and /etc/domain to ntb.ch

the I did a reboot:

by executing /etc/rc.net there is the following error message:

SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

if I do a /etc/ifconfig all seems to look proper.

I tried to start networking without /etc/rc.net by first installing loopback device and the device eth0.

ifconfig eth0 146.136.1.99 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 146.136.1.255

(netmask is correct)

route add 146.136.1.99   ---->  SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

the ethernet card is a WD8003 and is correctly detected at boot time.

What's Wrong ???

Please send e-mail

thanks thomas

---

2. What is Edition II, exactly?

3. HELP O' NET GURUS: Networking problems with SLIP and 0.99pl12

4. Virtual hosting/apache: compuserv & others don't work!

5. Q: 0.99pl12 route add problem, SIOCADDRT: network is unreachable

6. please help in send mail

7. Help: Problem with ALT-key after recompiling 0.99pl12

8. Notebook with 486SL is slow under linux

9. Problem compiling Linux 0.99pl12

10. Problem: HD timeout / HD controller reset ( 0.99pl12 )

11. Problem making SLS Linux 0.99pl12

12. NFS won't mount on .99pl12

13. 0.99pl12: ext2fs unmount of root is no longer successful