Newbie Linuxer & misc. Qs (LONG!)

Post by Nick Vargi » Tue, 28 Jul 1992 07:05:19

Yesterday I made the jump. I saved to floppy all the DOS things I had
to (personal files), repartitioned the hard drive, and installed
Linux. It went extremely well, all things considered... I had to
pfdisk and makefs from the install script, then switch to the
instructions that came with the 0.96c+ base.[1-5] disks (the pfdisk on
the 0.96c+ wouldn't talk to my drive, but it could have been me).

This is the first UN*X (ooops, sorry AT&T... NOT!) system I've ever
installed, and I'm impressed that it went as smoothly as it has. I
suspect it would have been impossible without the very handy FAQ and
the tools that so many people have written to make the process easier.

It's _sooo_ nice to have a real OS at home! And c-kermit will actually
talk to my COM-4 modem (already outperforming Windoze...); tonight I
try to install pcomm, Emacs 19.58(?), perl, gnuchess, MGR (see problem
5, below), df, and the real ps.

Of course, there are problems. I've looked in the FAQ, but couldn't
seem to find the answers to these. Any help would be appreciated:

1. Can't boot from HD. I installed the "shoelace" stuff according to
   the 0.96c+ instructions. On boot, I get a menu of partitions, and
   the second partition is "*"ed... as it should be. When I press "2"
   the system hangs.

   DOS trying to boot from HD reports "missing operating system" or
   some-such nonesense. Boots just fine from a DOS 5 floppy and the
   partition works, so who cares? (And I sys.com'ed the boot diskette
   from the HD partition, so it _does_ have an OS on it...)

   Is there some other package that will let me do HD boots? I'd like
   to be able to pick a boot partition on boot-up... Or just have
   Linux come up from the HD automagically and use a boot floppy for
   DOS (DOS is suffering anyway).

2. Can only log-in as "root". This is a big problem. I have tried
   using adduser, and I've tried editing /etc/passwd manually. I
   always get the same results. At the login: prompt, I enter the new
   username (vargish) and Linux spits out the text in the file
   "/etc/nologin". Doesn't even ask for a password. Are non-root
   logins blocked by default? How do I unblock them? (Yes, I set up
   the $HOME directory and permissions for vargish as well.)

3. I remember seeing a clue on how to disable the initial "Hit <ENTER>
   to see SVGA modes, any other key to continue" [sic.] messgae. I
   don't remember what that fix is. Could someone send it to me? Put
   it on the FAQ?

4. Mtools sometimes can't initialize my floppies, and sometimes can't
   even see them (depending on what random numbers I'm using in
   /etc/mtools). I have a 1.2 5.25 as A: and a 1.44 3.5 as B:... Do I
   also need to "makenod" [sic.] or "MAKEDEVICE"?  The FAQ explains
   major/minor numbers and things, but not what to _do_.

   Mtools does access the DOS partition nicely though, so I can boot
   DOS, use DOS xcopy to the DOS partition, then reboot with Linux
   (swap boot floppies -- yay!) and mcopy them from there. The extra
   step is annoying, though.

5. X doesn't work. I have a Paradise 256k SVGA card. Someone posted
   their Xconfig here, and claimed they had X running on a 256K Para
   card. I have copied the Xconfig, but I still get errors. "Too less
   video RAM for virtual resolution" or something like that. (I
   remember the "too less" part.) I also have a Logitech bus mouse...
   which COM port _is_ that?!

6. Suspending nethack (the one I got from tsx-11, I believe) and then
   resuming it seemed to disconnect my keyboard. Nethack is very
   quick, though... even when multiply invoked on different vttys.

7. Has anyone seen ghostscript or zsh for Linux? Would it be
   impossible for me to port these, or just pointless? I'll do it if
   people would like me to. (zsh because it's a great shell,
   ghostscript because it looks like the easiest way to get output
   from TeX to my Panasonic 1123.)

If you've gotten this far, my thanks for your patience... If you
answer any of these questions, well, you will Be As A God In My
Eyes. :^)

Nick "Actually, I have one more... Ow! Stop hitting..." Vargish

--
|  Nick Vargish       | "I'm just another wide area network packet-herder..." |
|  SURAnet Operations +-------------------------------------------------------+

|  h: 301 474-1863    | mutually-shared ideologies.  Don't assume otherwise." |

Newbie Linuxer & misc. Qs (LONG!)

Post by Kolja Kaehl » Tue, 28 Jul 1992 08:19:07

[...]

I'll try for at least some of your questions:

Quote:

> 2. Can only log-in as "root". This is a big problem. I have tried
>    using adduser, and I've tried editing /etc/passwd manually. I
>    always get the same results. At the login: prompt, I enter the new
>    username (vargish) and Linux spits out the text in the file
>    "/etc/nologin". Doesn't even ask for a password. Are non-root
>    logins blocked by default? How do I unblock them? (Yes, I set up
>    the $HOME directory and permissions for vargish as well.)

/etc/nologin is created by 'reboot' or 'shutdown' and is indeed meant to
forbid non-root logins when the system is being shut down.
You should delete this file at boot time, e.g. put something like the
following in your /etc/rc.local:
        if [ -e /etc/nologin ]; then rm /etc/nologin; fi

Quote:

> 5. X doesn't work. I have a Paradise 256k SVGA card. Someone posted
>    their Xconfig here, and claimed they had X running on a 256K Para
>    card. I have copied the Xconfig, but I still get errors. "Too less
>    video RAM for virtual resolution" or something like that. (I
>    remember the "too less" part.) I also have a Logitech bus mouse...
>    which COM port _is_ that?!

maybe you should try to reduce the virtual resolution ? 640x480
with 256 colors will need 307200 Bytes of video-ram (someone correct me if
I'm wrong). 640x400 (= 256000 Bytes), or even less should work.

Quote:

> 7. Has anyone seen ghostscript or zsh for Linux? Would it be
>    impossible for me to port these, or just pointless? I'll do it if
>    people would like me to. (zsh because it's a great shell,
>    ghostscript because it looks like the easiest way to get output
>    from TeX to my Panasonic 1123.)

at least ghostscript (2.4.1 ?) compiles out of the box; don't know anything
about zsh, though.

Quote:

> If you've gotten this far, my thanks for your patience... If you
> answer any of these questions, well, you will Be As A God In My
> Eyes. :^)

uh, I think I'll prefer staying mortal for the time being :-)
(hope the answers were helpful ..)

Quote:

> Nick "Actually, I have one more... Ow! Stop hitting..." Vargish

Kolja

Newbie Linuxer & misc. Qs (LONG!)

Post by A. V. Le Bla » Tue, 28 Jul 1992 15:20:31

>2. Can only log-in as "root". This is a big problem. I have tried
>   username (vargish) and Linux spits out the text in the file
>   "/etc/nologin".

The file /etc/rc should contain the command 'rm -f /etc/nologin'.
This file, which is created by the reboot command, prevents non-root
users from logging in unless it is deleted.

Quote:>4. Mtools sometimes can't initialize my floppies, and sometimes can't
>   even see them (depending on what random numbers I'm using in
>   /etc/mtools).

You should have

     A /dev/fd0 12 0 0 0
     B /dev/fd1 12 0 0 0

for the floppy entries in /etc/mtools.

     -- Owen

Newbie Linuxer & misc. Qs (LONG!)

Post by James P. Callis » Sat, 01 Aug 1992 18:14:32

>>4. Mtools sometimes can't initialize my floppies, and sometimes can't
>>   even see them (depending on what random numbers I'm using in
>>   /etc/mtools).

>You should have
>     A /dev/fd0 12 0 0 0
>     B /dev/fd1 12 0 0 0
>for the floppy entries in /etc/mtools.

Hmmm. I just left it as
        A /dev/PS0
and did
        ln /dev/fd0 /dev/PS0
and it works just fine for me.

                                James

James P. Callison       Microcomputer Coordinator        OU Law Library

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an engineer, but I play one at work...
        Lawyers get you out'n the kind of trouble you'd never get in
                if there was no lawyers. -- Cowboy logic

Newbie Linuxer & misc. Qs (LONG!)

Post by Kevin Cummin » Sun, 02 Aug 1992 00:32:45

> >>4. Mtools sometimes can't initialize my floppies, and sometimes can't
> >>   even see them (depending on what random numbers I'm using in
> >>   /etc/mtools).

> >You should have
> >     A /dev/fd0 12 0 0 0
> >     B /dev/fd1 12 0 0 0
> >for the floppy entries in /etc/mtools.

> Hmmm. I just left it as
>    A /dev/PS0
> and did
>    ln /dev/fd0 /dev/PS0
> and it works just fine for me.

/dev/PS0 is supposed to be a 1.4 MB 3.5" disk driver.
/dev/fd0 is supposed to be an auto-detecting disk size and format disk driver.

So what you have done is make a link from a specific device name to the general
driver.  (Not as bad as the other way around I have to admit).

This may be a quickfix, or a workaround until you understand what should have
been done, but PLEASE don't go around giving this to other people.  The
confusion level about floppy disk drives is high enough without complicating
it with mis-information.   Thanx.

Kevin J. Cummings                       PrimeService
20 Briarwood Road                       A Computervision Company
Framingham, Mass.                       500 Old Connecticut Path
                                        Framingham, Mass.

Std. Disclaimer: "Mr. McKittrick, after careful consideration,
                  I've come to the conclusion that your new
                  defense system SUCKS..."   --  War Games

1. Newbie Qs & As

Does anyone know where there might be a web site that has questions for
real newbies? The FAQ's are nice, but sometimes don't have the answers
we need.

For example...

Whenever I set my path statement (export PATH=$PATH:/) I have to do it
every time I login or manually edit the file. It never keeps.

I don't have any of the .files in my system. It's a brand new install,
and all the books that say to edit the .xinitrc or .whatever, I look for
the files and they aren't there.

xscreensaver doesn't work under my root account, and how do I make it
the screensaver of choice under other accounts. Under the root account,
it says...
    xlib:connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to server

it says to check DISPLAY environment, as well as permissions to access
the display, look at the man pages (man X and man xhost) for details.

OK, I did that, but what the hell am I lookin' for??? They don't tell me
that...

I am going to continue to struggle, but some real user FAQs would be
nice.

2. Brilliant term client concept!

3. Misc stuff from a new LINUXer

4. Smail 3.1.29.1

5. long long & long double types in Linux GCC

6. Cable Modem < @Home - Pleading for help with configuration tips for Linux

7. Newbie Linuxer

8. svgalib

9. type long & unsigned long

10. More Win95 --> Linux Newbie Qs

11. 2.5.40 - DMA-mapping && misc

12. 3 newbie Qs on partitioning a hard disk