NICs

Post by Antipo » Sat, 01 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I'm looking at some cheap SMC EzNet NICs for a router ($11 a pop). I
can't find them mentioned in any compatibility list but SMC seems to be
a well supported brand. Anyone know if this particular one is supported
by Linux? I just want to make sure before I order them.

NICs

Post by Akira Yamanit » Sat, 01 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> I'm looking at some cheap SMC EzNet NICs for a router ($11 a pop). I
> can't find them mentioned in any compatibility list but SMC seems to be
> a well supported brand. Anyone know if this particular one is supported
> by Linux? I just want to make sure before I order them.

I've never heard of a SMC EzNet NIC.

There are quite a number of SMC *EZ* NICs.
EZ Card 10 PCI
EZ Card 10 ISA
EtherEZ 10 ISA
EZ Card 10/100 (PCI)

See if you can find the specific one at
http://www.smc.com/smc/pages_html/homef.html

They provide Linux drivers for download. I believe they were
all written by Donald Becker. I don't think they have any
in-house written drivers.

I have a SMC EZ Card 10/100 (aka 1211TX). It uses the
RealTek 8139 chipset (module rtl8139) and works well.

NICs

Post by Sandhitsu R Da » Sat, 01 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I have SMC EZ Card 10 ISA - it's NE2000 compatible and works fine with the
ne driver module. You can find it dirt cheap at $6 a piece and free
overnight delivery at outpost.com.

Quote:

> There are quite a number of SMC *EZ* NICs.
> EZ Card 10 PCI
> EZ Card 10 ISA
> EtherEZ 10 ISA
> EZ Card 10/100 (PCI)

> See if you can find the specific one at
> http://www.smc.com/smc/pages_html/homef.html

> They provide Linux drivers for download. I believe they were
> all written by Donald Becker. I don't think they have any
> in-house written drivers.

> I have a SMC EZ Card 10/100 (aka 1211TX). It uses the
> RealTek 8139 chipset (module rtl8139) and works well.

1. NIC / network won't load: Compaq Netelligent 10/100 Embedded NIC, Eth0

Environment:
Macmillan Linux-Mandrake Deluxe Linux 6.5
Compaq Deskpro 6000 266/MMX 288MB SDRAM
Compaq Netelligent 10/100 embedded NIC

Problem:
Setup recognized the NIC, but when I boot Linux the network fails to initialize.  Side note: currently I'm not able to boot from SCSI disk, only floppy.  Anyway, what do I need to do to get my net connection up?  I'm using KDE and the Linuxconfig utility, but when I activate the changes I've made, the network still won't initialize.

The changes I made are: setting my default gateway, setting my DNS server addresses, setting up for DHCP, setting module type for NIC to "tlan" (which is what the documentation tells me to use).

What do I need to do to get my network connection up?  I'm obviously a Linux newbie, so please forgive my ignorance.  Thanks for any help!
Regards,

Scott

2. Windows NT

3. NIC NIC

4. Cable Modem with LinuxPPC 4

5. Crossover Cable Needed for Direct NIC 2 NIC?

6. Printer??

7. routing - 3comps - one dualport-nic & two "normal" nics

8. nis+ and printers

9. How to specify/detect an NIC when using two or more NIC

10. 4.2 nic aliasing, multiple IPs, one nic does not work???

11. unixware 7.1 doesn't have my NIC in the NIC list, how do I bypass

12. a couple of NICs that don't NIC

13. 10BASE-T NIC and 100mbps NIC to a dual-speed hub doesn't work?