Any linux on sparc users

Post by Bryan Web » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 13:35:10

Hi,
    I'm lookinng for info on linux running on sparc platforms, configs,
experiences

Thanks
Bryan Webb

Any linux on sparc users

Post by Daniel » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 09:40:36

Hi Bryan,

You can try have a look at http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/
Their machine called FTOOMSH has been running Linux on Sparcstation
330 since around mid 1990s if I'm not mistaken. These dudes has been
involved in the early stage of Linux development on Sparc.

Try to contact Progsoc Sysadmin and see if they can help you.

Regards,
Daniel

> Hi,
>     I'm lookinng for info on linux running on sparc platforms, configs,
> experiences

> Thanks
> Bryan Webb

Any linux on sparc users

Post by Les » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 11:37:28

I have done it, Redhat 6.1.  It ran pretty damn well.  Never had to many
problems -- if I have to complain about something, it would be the Sparc
keyboard.  It wasn't really a problem, I just had a bit of trouble going
from a "standard" keyboard to the configuration that the Sparc KB had, some
keys were in different places.

It was a Sparcstation 1, pretty darn old machine (I think), but it had 256
Mb of ram, so everything was pretty speedy.  X was okay, comparable to other
systems I've run.  Never crashed on me.  I had an 18 gig HD in her, worked
beautiful for storage.  It had a 21" monitor which was nice.

   From Les Nadon using M$ Outlook Express - it has
   a few probs, but it is okay as a mailer.  For something
   really good, go to http://www.redhat.com and get
   yourself a copy of Linux

http://linuxweb.mine.nu

Quote:> Hi,
>     I'm lookinng for info on linux running on sparc platforms, configs,
> experiences

> Thanks
> Bryan Webb

Any linux on sparc users

Post by Ty Hardi » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 11:50:58

got redhat 6.1 up and running on an E450 with internal disks and with external
differential scsi storage.  couldn't find a copy of 6.2 for sparc.

ran apache like a dream.

> I have done it, Redhat 6.1.  It ran pretty damn well.  Never had to many
> problems -- if I have to complain about something, it would be the Sparc
> keyboard.  It wasn't really a problem, I just had a bit of trouble going
> from a "standard" keyboard to the configuration that the Sparc KB had, some
> keys were in different places.

> It was a Sparcstation 1, pretty darn old machine (I think), but it had 256
> Mb of ram, so everything was pretty speedy.  X was okay, comparable to other
> systems I've run.  Never crashed on me.  I had an 18 gig HD in her, worked
> beautiful for storage.  It had a 21" monitor which was nice.

> --
>    From Les Nadon using M$ Outlook Express - it has
>    a few probs, but it is okay as a mailer.  For something
>    really good, go to http://www.redhat.com and get
>    yourself a copy of Linux

> http://linuxweb.mine.nu

> > Hi,
> >     I'm lookinng for info on linux running on sparc platforms, configs,
> > experiences

> > Thanks
> > Bryan Webb

Any linux on sparc users

Post by Chris Co » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 13:10:44

I've got a Sparcstation 5 with SuSE 7.1 on it.... easy install.
In fact, my neigbor now dual boots his Sparc using my SuSE 7.1 CDs.
It's a bit much for KDE... but lower resource Window managers are
pretty responsive.

> got redhat 6.1 up and running on an E450 with internal disks and with external
> differential scsi storage.  couldn't find a copy of 6.2 for sparc.

> ran apache like a dream.

> > I have done it, Redhat 6.1.  It ran pretty damn well.  Never had to many
> > problems -- if I have to complain about something, it would be the Sparc
> > keyboard.  It wasn't really a problem, I just had a bit of trouble going
> > from a "standard" keyboard to the configuration that the Sparc KB had, some
> > keys were in different places.

> > It was a Sparcstation 1, pretty darn old machine (I think), but it had 256
> > Mb of ram, so everything was pretty speedy.  X was okay, comparable to other
> > systems I've run.  Never crashed on me.  I had an 18 gig HD in her, worked
> > beautiful for storage.  It had a 21" monitor which was nice.

> > --
> > *********************************************************************
> >    From Les Nadon using M$ Outlook Express - it has
> >    a few probs, but it is okay as a mailer.  For something
> >    really good, go to http://www.redhat.com and get
> >    yourself a copy of Linux

> > http://linuxweb.mine.nu

> > > Hi,
> > >     I'm lookinng for info on linux running on sparc platforms, configs,
> > > experiences

> > > Thanks
> > > Bryan Webb

Any linux on sparc users

Post by Paul Sutto » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 05:42:54

Not sure if this helps,  but I had a few probs with KDE being slow,  so I
tried disabling some of the system services, with SysVinit (or something)
and got a good speeed increase.   However I guess you may have already done
this.

HTH

> I've got a Sparcstation 5 with SuSE 7.1 on it.... easy install.
> In fact, my neigbor now dual boots his Sparc using my SuSE 7.1 CDs.
> It's a bit much for KDE... but lower resource Window managers are
> pretty responsive.

> > got redhat 6.1 up and running on an E450 with internal disks and with
external
> > differential scsi storage.  couldn't find a copy of 6.2 for sparc.

> > ran apache like a dream.

> > > I have done it, Redhat 6.1.  It ran pretty damn well.  Never had to
many
> > > problems -- if I have to complain about something, it would be the
Sparc
> > > keyboard.  It wasn't really a problem, I just had a bit of trouble
going
> > > from a "standard" keyboard to the configuration that the Sparc KB had,
some
> > > keys were in different places.

> > > It was a Sparcstation 1, pretty darn old machine (I think), but it had
256
> > > Mb of ram, so everything was pretty speedy.  X was okay, comparable to
other
> > > systems I've run.  Never crashed on me.  I had an 18 gig HD in her,
worked
> > > beautiful for storage.  It had a 21" monitor which was nice.

> > > --
> > > *********************************************************************
> > >    From Les Nadon using M$ Outlook Express - it has
> > >    a few probs, but it is okay as a mailer.  For something
> > >    really good, go to http://www.redhat.com and get
> > >    yourself a copy of Linux

> > > http://linuxweb.mine.nu

Any linux on sparc users

Post by Plas » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:28:00

Quote:>You can try have a look at http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/

w00t, I'm surprised our programmer's society is so seemingly famous on
the net, I see it everywhere.  Your best bet would be to post to our
mailing list - progsoc at (our domain), as the members who run ftoomsh
(and our many other boxes) are usually around there, and can lend you
a hand.  To be honest, I don't think there's much on our site to help
you (TFM, our guide of UN*X is about 3 years old, though a new one is
in the works).