8514/A with Linux?

Post by GUYLAIN LAVO » Sun, 14 Jun 1992 17:16:14

Hi, is-it possible to use 8514/A card with Linux XWindows or MGR?

Guylain Lavoie

8514/A with Linux?

Post by Orest Zborowski CO » Tue, 16 Jun 1992 21:41:26

>Hi, is-it possible to use 8514/A card with Linux XWindows or MGR?

>Guylain Lavoie

not under x386. thomas roell has a version in the works, but it will be
part of a commercial product. i have heard of no plans from the mit
community to extend the range of supported chips, although there is
a small group of people working on the next version of x386 which should
run much faster on the current collection of chips. they have said
informally that supporting other chips may be possible in the future.
there was some talk of supporting trident, etc chips (even some patches)
but i haven't heard of anything in a while. it would be really nice to
have a cga or std vga driver, even if it was slow.

zorst

--
zorst (orest zborowski)

8514/A with Linux?

Post by Thomas Roe » Wed, 17 Jun 1992 02:47:19

Quote:> not under x386. thomas roell has a version in the works, but it will be
> part of a commercial product.                                        ^^^^^^^

Read here please 'is part of' ...

Quote:> a small group of people working on the next version of x386 which should
> run much faster on the current collection of chips. they have said

Well, the basic problem is here how much can you tune a Volkwagen Beatle
compared to the standard speed of a Porsche ? What I want to say is that
you shouldn't expect to much from these guys, although they are doing a great
job on the code. Also don't expect them to support everything, just because
you own that little board. It's a hell lot of work to support a new
chipset and make it work on different os's end platforms. This work only
makes sense if the SVGA is really fast or very wide-spread.

- Thomas

das Reg sprint weit,                            #include </dev/pizza>
was solles tun, es hat ja Zeit ...

8514/A with Linux?

Post by Curtis Yarv » Wed, 17 Jun 1992 05:33:39

>Hi, is-it possible to use 8514/A card with Linux XWindows or MGR?

I suppose you mean the ATI Ultra?  Not yet, but I'm working on it.

(I exchanged mail with someone with the same project about a month
ago, but now that I'm actually starting I find I've lost their
address.  Could anyone who fits this description, or who doesn't
but is interested in working on the Ultra/Vantage anyway, plee-ez
send me some mail?)

1. Linux and 8514

I am running SLS 1.02 on an ISA 486-33 with an ATI Graphics Ultra in
8514/a mode 8514 monitor.  When I run Xwindows under my userid I get an
error I/O privliged then X quits.  If I run startx as root all works
fine.  I am using the x8514scale.tgz drivers from sunsite.  Does anyone have
any ideas as to why this is occurings???

Michael L. Bird

2. no space on dev hd

3. linux w viper in 8514 or vesa mode?

4. NFS'ing a tape drive

5. 2 monitors with X under Linux - ATI 8514/Ultra + SVGA

6. install RED HAT 5.1 on P2B-DS with adaptec AIC 7890

7. SUCCESS using speedstar pro & IBM 8514

8. ports on cvs

9. Wanted: XF86Config for Diamond SpeedStar Pro 8514

10. IBM 8514 monitor running 1024x768

11. IBM 8514 monitor specs?

12. AIX PS/2 1.2.1 X on 8515 8514/A

13. BOOK WANTED: Graphics Programming for the 8514/A