Wanted: (help) Xconfig, Diamond Speedstar plus/CrystalScan 1024NI

Wanted: (help) Xconfig, Diamond Speedstar plus/CrystalScan 1024NI

Post by Jeffrey Wiegl » Tue, 04 May 1993 07:49:26

Please, Please, Please...

I know I can't be the only person running linux and X-windows on a gateway
machine, so if you too are running this card/monitor set up please send me
your Xconfig file so that I can get something besides 640x480 vesa running.

my exact set-up is:

Video Card: Diamond SpeedStar Plus w/1Mb Ram
Monitor:    Gateway CrystalScan 1024NI

I've been trying for about a week now with bad results.
I realize that I shouldn't implicitly trust anyones Xconfig but please
don't let that stop you from sending it to me! If I blow the monitor then I
have an excuse for my wife why I have to buy a nice 17in monitor and new
board. (Well you and I know the board would probably be ok still but she's
an artist and I want Hi-Color and 1240x1024 resolution someday :-)

anyways, I've tried computing my own modes from modegen and by hand from
the tutorials but nothing really creates a nice image that doesn't wrap and
I'm probably just torturing my monitor because I can't find decent
information on the monitor such as what it's horizontal sync rate is or
what it needs for a horizontal of vertical sync pulse.

so please send me those Xconfigs for this setup and you will have my
eternal gratitude!

thanks everyone!

Post by Peter Newco » Wed, 05 May 1993 05:40:49

>Please, Please, Please...
>I know I can't be the only person running linux and X-windows on a gateway
>machine, so if you too are running this card/monitor set up please send me
>your Xconfig file so that I can get something besides 640x480 vesa running.
>my exact set-up is:
>Video Card: Diamond SpeedStar Plus w/1Mb Ram
>Monitor:    Gateway CrystalScan 1024NI
>I've been trying for about a week now with bad results.
>I realize that I shouldn't implicitly trust anyones Xconfig but please
>don't let that stop you from sending it to me! If I blow the monitor then I
>have an excuse for my wife why I have to buy a nice 17in monitor and new
>board. (Well you and I know the board would probably be ok still but she's
>an artist and I want Hi-Color and 1240x1024 resolution someday :-)
>anyways, I've tried computing my own modes from modegen and by hand from
>the tutorials but nothing really creates a nice image that doesn't wrap and
>I'm probably just torturing my monitor because I can't find decent
>information on the monitor such as what it's horizontal sync rate is or
>what it needs for a horizontal of vertical sync pulse.
>so please send me those Xconfigs for this setup and you will have my
>eternal gratitude!
>thanks everyone!

Here's the relevent parts of my Xconfig for the same setup --

vga256 pseudocolor

chipset "et4000"

clocks 25 28 54 68 77 72 59 63 15 14 32 36 40  0  0  0

videoram 1024
displaysize 245 180
modes "640x480" "1024x768"

viewport 0 0
virtual 1152 900
nospeedup

modedb
# name       clock     horzontal timing      vertical timing      flags

 "640x480"    25      640  672  768  800    480  489  491  524  -hsync -vsync
 "1024x768"   63     1024 1088 1264 1328    768  773  793  807

The 1024x768 mode is ok for graphics, but the bandwidth of the monitor
is too low for really crisp images...  I use the 640x480 mode for most
(text-based) things, but switch to 1024x768 to do graphics.

I'm not sure this is optimal...  but it works for me.  (until I have an
excuse to buy a 17" or 19" monitor :-)

I have the spec sheet for the monitor -- but not online.  If there's enough
interest, I'd be willing to type it in and post it.  I wasn't successful in
getting the 800x600 mode working; anybody want to try?

peter
--
Peter Newcomb                                  CPU Box 275572
Voice: (716) 274 0155                          University of Rochester

Wanted: (help) Xconfig, Diamond Speedstar plus/CrystalScan 1024NI

Post by John Edward Kelln » Wed, 05 May 1993 06:40:00

I've just purchased a MAG MX17F monitor and should be
receiving it in a few days. I am hoping someone could
send me an Xconfig for this monitor being driven by
a Orchid Prodesigner IIs.

The monitor is rated at 1280x1024 non-interlaced wiht
a horz. scan of 30-68kHz, vert. scan of 50-120Hz and
a bandwidth of 120MHz. (Supposedly, I haven't got the
manual yet.)

Thanks,

jk

1. XF86Config-->Diamond SpeedStar and CrystalScan Monitor

I have been running linux for quite some time, and am now attempting to get
X to run as well, but I am having some problems getting the XF86Config file
to work properly. I am wondering if anyone out there has a Diamond SpeedStar
card w/ 1MB of VRAM, and a CrystalScan 1024NI Monitor. If you do, would you
like to email me a copy of your XF86Config file?

I really appreciate *any* help that I can get.

Thanks in advance!!!

2. can't find boot disk for fireport

3. FIX:Diamond SpeedStar/GW2K CrystalScan

4. Allways IN-2000 hang on boot

5. Diamond: Speedstar vs. Speedstar 24 vs Speedstar 24X

6. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

7. help:modeline for GW Crystalscan 1024NI

8. RedHat 7.1 and Parallel ZIP drive

9. Xconfig help for Diamond SpeedStar Pro

10. Xconfig for Diamond/CrystalScan monitor

11. Xconfig: Speedstar Plus/Mitsubishi Dia Scn

12. Anyone got better than 640x480 for Diamond Speedstar Plus?

13. Diamond SpeedStar Plus -- VGA only???