Corrupt apt package status under Debian

Post by Fredderi » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 00:59:15

Don't worry, I'm not here with a controvercial and/or misguided oppinion
this time...  ;)  I need a little help from those much wiser than myself...

I'm running Debian; mostly sarge (little woody, a pinch of sid, and maybe
even a few potato's here and there), and am having some rather annoying
trouble with apt/dpkg...

Is there anyway to regenerate the /var/lib/apt/status (or similar) file
which holds the list of installed and avaliable packages...?

The file became corrupt after an mmap failure which running "apt-get
update", and hasn't been the same since (basically, short of deleting the
file, there was no way to get apt to run without that mmap error).  I have a
copy of the corrupted status file, but the daily backups prior to the
corruption were not being made due to another (unrelated) glitch which I've
only recently become aware of and fixed.

fredderic

Corrupt apt package status under Debian

Post by Sybren Stuve » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 03:14:05

Fredderic enlightened us with:

Quote:> Is there anyway to regenerate the /var/lib/apt/status (or similar)
> file which holds the list of installed and avaliable packages...?

Have you tried removing the file and running 'apt-get update' again?

Sybren
--
If you have to use Outlook, fix it: http://jump.to/oe-quotefix/------------------------------------------...
| Real programmers don't comment their code. It was hard to write, |

Post by Fredderi » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:51:58

Quote:> > Is there anyway to regenerate the /var/lib/apt/status (or similar)
> > file which holds the list of installed and avaliable packages...?
> Have you tried removing the file and running 'apt-get update' again?

Yeah.  And the darned thing forgot what packages were installed in the
system.  I had a * of a time trying to convince it that dpkg and apt
were installed.  And that was after I managed to get it to accept libc6 as
installed.  Still not 100% certain how I got that set in there, a lot of
fiddling and fuddling, and general arse rather than class...  But it worked.

I fudged a set-selections to dpkg (or was it apt?), based on a "ls /usr/doc
| sed ......" command.  But now it wants to re-download all the packages I
had installed, a bunch of which appear to no longer exist (which is causing
just a little strife)...  Seems to be upset at having all these packages
installed, but no information about their contents. ;)

1. debian apt broken packages.

I'm running the unstable version of debian, and things were going well,
until ... well, who knows what I did, at least a dist-upgrade or two,
with ximian's server in my sources.list, then I took it out and
uninstalled gnome, and reinstalled it without ximian in the sources
list.

The point is that I'm trying to reinstall the pan newsreader, and I get
the message:

-------------BEGIN OUTPUT--------------------
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  pan: Depends: libgdk-pixbuf-gnome2 (>= 0.11.0-2) but it is not going
to be installed
       Depends: libglade-gnome0 but it is not going to be installed
       Depends: libgtkhtml9 (>= 0.9.2-2) but it is not going to be
installed
E: Sorry, broken packages
----------------END OUTPUT----------------

What can I do?

--

A train station is where a train stops.
A bus station is where a bus stops.

2. How to define a map on solaris?

3. Problem Installing Debian Woody3.0 via NFS Packages.gz corrupt

4. Connectivity software

5. Debian available package file corrupt

6. help, please

7. Corrupt Debian package system

8. Xfree86 4.0 and Matrox G400 Dual head

9. Debian Apt-get won't work through win98ICS connection- but everything else does

10. Debian Install: Apt Configurarion won't auto-detect CD ROM

11. A debian APT question, I am new at this

12. Debian woody -> apt-get probleme (cannot find answer else where)

13. Do non-Debian distros have "easy-to-upgrade" apt-like installs?