memory consumption and X-windows

Post by Jayakrishnan Raghava » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I am running ELF version 1.2.13 with 28 MB of RAM on a 486 dx2 system.
This system ran perfectly fine until I added 16 MB of ram (originally I
had only 12MB of ram).  I booted up linux with the floppy and tried to
start X-windows using startx.  The system just hung up - with no way to
get out. ctr-alt-del won't work and I had to press reset.  I tried this
time and again and the same thing happened. Finally I got the system to
boot and checked the free memory.  It reported that of the 28 MB ram all
excepting around some 1 MB is free!  This just doesn't make sense.  I
dont't have a clue what went wrong?

The kernel I am using is a recompiled one.  I clearly remember opting
out of the 16 MB limit while doing a make config before kernel compile.
I then tried to boot with the kernel which came with the installation.
Again the same problem.  I tried booting up with with the boot disk from
the boot/root disk combo.  I got the system to boot but got some warning
that there is a kernel mismatch (1.2.8 versus 1.2.13).   Otherwise
everything looked fine.  I found that the system is using only 5MB and
the rest is free.  When I tried to start X, it still hung up on me.
I could never recompile the kernel.  It crashed somewhere in the middle.
I have recompiled kernels in the past and so know for sure that I was
just following the procedure.

If anyone can give me some suggestions, it will be very helpful.

You can reach me at this email address or at

thanks
Jay Raghavan

Hello!

I have 3 questions about X-windows:

Is there a good graphical bases typewriter (not editor) in which
i can write and layout text in x-windows, without using a bunch
of codes as in e.g. latech.

Is it possible to make a telnet like connection in a MS windows
based PC to a unix machine which is capable to run the X-windows
system. So i could use for example Xmaple when I am sitting home
where i dont have unix, but I do have a fast pc and internet.

Is there a special X-windows newsgroup?

Please e-mail me because i cant read the newsgroups so often.

thanks

Sander Zboray
http://gene.wins.uva.nl/~zboray

2. Yaboot for third IDE drive

3. X Windows memory consumption

4. Frozen X

5. repeated failed open()'s results in lots of used memory [Was: [Fwd: memory consumption]]

6. tar recursively with a wildcard

7. X-Windows comes up, when I bring up an Xterm, X-Windows quits

8. urgent!! connection problems

9. After Install X-windows comes up I run Xterm, X-windows quits

10. X-Windows is using too much memory

11. Large X-Windows memory usage

12. X-windows out of memory

13. X-Windows Virtual Memory Problem