MCC interim 0.96c released

Post by A. V. Le Bla » Tue, 07 Jul 1992 23:52:53

I know you're not going to believe this, but it's here!

About a month after I hoped to have it out, the MCC interim
release of Linux 0.96c is available.  I still need to do a
little work on the README's, but most of the things are there
waiting to be transferred!

For those who don't know, the MCC interim releases of Linux
are designed to make installing Linux easy.  Get copies of the
README files, together with the five disk images, uncompress
where necessary (only the boot disk compresses this time, I'm
afraid), rawrite to high density disks of any size, and you're
away.  Problems might occur if you have only 2mb of memory, but
I successfully installed Linux on a 2mb machine yesterday using
these disks, so I know what I'm talking about.

What do you get?  Besides what is usually on the root disks --
we don't use separate root disks at MCC! -- you get all of the
usual GNU utilities, plus file, man, man pages (YES!), GCC, G++,
kermit, shoelace, groff, ...  Words fail me, but you can read all
about it in the README file!

several new features: man with man pages (preformatted, but with source
available), bison (which I forgot last time), file, fdformat, and
groff.  A new version of fdisk (0.93) displays sizes by cylinder
in addition to by sector (indeed, cylinder is now the default), and
lets you specify end-of-partition as a size in cylinders, kilobytes,
or megabytes; it also should handle disks with more than 1024 cylinders
more sensibly.   Of course it still creates extended partitions better
than any other fdisk, but if you have SCSI drives this won't interest
you yet.  If you already have Linux installed, this MCC release will
delete only the bits it replaces, unless you ask it to delete everything,
and saves your old configuration files from /etc (renaming, for example,
/etc/passwd to /etc/passwd.old, /etc/rc to /etc/rc.old, /etc/mtools to
/etc/mtools.old) and from the root, bin, and user login directories.
After you install, or if you reboot using the boot/utility pair as a
recovery system, the editors 'vi' and 'joe' now work, as well as the
'man' command.  And if you wish, after a single 'ln -s /root/etc/mtools
/etc' you can run mtools!  A list of Acknowledgements tries to name
all the sources of software, but doesn't mention how grateful I am
to Linus, Ted Ts'o, and H J Lu, particulary Ted, who helped me find a
bug in the ramdisk code at the last minute before going on vacation.

(as requested by several people) because the data-base-builder doesn't
work, or ldd, which will probably be coming out in a new version soon,
or a few other requests.  One bit of groff -- the PostScript utilities --
wouldn't fit on the five disks, and is provided as a compressed tar file.
There are bugs in stty, in decode, and with serial connections.  There
are a lot of things I wanted to add but couldn't get -- like a working
'script' -- or couldn't squeeze in.

The installation can be regarded as a group of 'packages' with the following
sizes (in kilobytes):

     size  disk   package
     2373  util   main install
     1829  comp1  GCC 2.2.2 binaries and include files
      576  comp2  GCC 2.2.2 main libraries
       75  comp1  GCC 2.2.2 libcurses.a and libdbm.a
     2198  comp3  G++ 2.2.2 everything
      976  comp2  main groff utilities
      133  comp2  groff's DVI utilities
      140  comp3  groff's bibliographical utilities
      251  comp2  Kermit
      107  comp2  shoelace (but you can delete 58 of this after installing)

     5658  ---    total (but you can delete 58 after installing shoelace)

You don't need the comp3 disk unless you want g++ or the utilities
gindxbib, glookbib, grefer, or lkbib; with just the other 4 you can
recompile the kernel and all of the stuff on the disks except groff.
(Note that the source and all patches is available for anonymous ftp,
but that source does not come on the 5 disks.)

I am very sorry for the length of time this took, but I have been
very busy lately, and only free to work on Linux on weekends and
early in the morning.  Please feel free to send me comments and
suggestions, and (especially) bug fixes.

I shall post the main README file later.

     -- Owen

MCC interim 0.96c released

Post by David Eng » Wed, 08 Jul 1992 13:19:11

: (as requested by several people) because the data-base-builder doesn't
: work, or ldd, which will probably be coming out in a new version soon,
It's out!  Look for /pub/Linux/Incoming/ldd-1.1.tar.Z on banjo.concert.net
For those that don't know, the old version chokes on shell scripts and other
"non-executable" files.  This version corrects that problem.

David
--
David Engel                        Optical Data Systems, Inc.

(214) 234-6400                     Richardson, TX  75081

MCC interim 0.96c released

Post by James Henricks » Thu, 09 Jul 1992 02:56:35

>I know you're not going to believe this, but it's here!

>About a month after I hoped to have it out, the MCC interim
>release of Linux 0.96c is available.  I still need to do a
>little work on the README's, but most of the things are there
>waiting to be transferred!

Not to start a war over which numbering scheme is best, but are /dev/ttys?
renumbered to be 1-4?  It would be nice if all of the Linux installations
had the same numbering scheme so we wouldn't have so many posts from confused
users.

--
Jim H.
*

* "Yet another Jim in the Linux world."  :-)

1. 0.96c (mcc-interim, rootimage, etc...)

I don't want to take up too much time on this. But, there are
3 releases of Linux 0.96c utilities in the past few days.
mcc-interim, rootimage, and the file, text utils files....
A good question is which to download (precious time, money)
and unpack and use on your system if say you are going to
grab it and replace everything previous on your hard drive to
be current with everything? There is a difference between these
versions? I'd like to start over and insure everything is clean
and compatible in the makefiles, etc.....

2. uClinux + ARM + GDB???

3. ANNOUNCE: MCC Interim Release

4. reboot fixes eth0 but not ifup/network restart

5. MCC-interim release problem with login

6. tedious newbie noddy question!

7. ANNOUNCE: MCC Interim Release

8. Live system in Slackware

9. MCC Interim Release

10. Comments on the MCC Interim Release

11. Strange things about MCC Interim Release 0.97p2

12. MCC Interim Linux 1.0+ released

13. 486 panics booting mcc-interim release :(