schedule for upgrades and the Summer [was Re: Upgrades to OS]

schedule for upgrades and the Summer [was Re: Upgrades to OS]

Post by Joel M. Hoffm » Mon, 27 Apr 1992 11:10:00

Quote:>The next release will be 0.96, hopefully out sometime next week, but
>you didn't hear me say that.  :)

I suspect many people will no longer be around after mid-May or so.
So I was thinking:  the best possibility would be if 1.0 were magically
available by then.  I don't think that's reasonable.  So perhaps
a ``final beta'' version could be released by then, with enough time to
spot any major gaffs, and then anyone who leaves in May will have a good
copy to use.  Then 1.0 would be put together in the Fall.

I don't know how many people will be away for the Summer, but if it
turns out to be a lot, that would make sense, it seems to me.

Comments?

-Joel

Post by Jim Winstead J » Mon, 27 Apr 1992 11:32:39

>>The next release will be 0.96, hopefully out sometime next week, but
>>you didn't hear me say that.  :)

>I suspect many people will no longer be around after mid-May or so.
>So I was thinking:  the best possibility would be if 1.0 were magically
>available by then.  I don't think that's reasonable.  So perhaps
>a ``final beta'' version could be released by then, with enough time to
>spot any major gaffs, and then anyone who leaves in May will have a good
>copy to use.  Then 1.0 would be put together in the Fall.

Linux 1.0 by summer?  Nah.

It would be nice, but I wouldn't place any bets on it, myself.  I
think a far more likely, and more desireably alternative would be to
let Linux stew over the summer, and release 1.0 at the beginning of
September, end of August.  This will allow most of the current bugs to
hopefully be shaken out, and not force us to try and rush out a
release, which is a Bad Idea (tm).

(That is, of course, what you said.  I read a bit more into what you
said the first time through, so now I'm covering up for myself so I
don't have to rewrite that last paragraph.  :)

Quote:>I don't know how many people will be away for the Summer, but if it
>turns out to be a lot, that would make sense, it seems to me.

I'm included in those that will be 'away' for the summer, though I
intend on keeping tabs on comp.os.linux from a public access Unix site
in Minnesota (if it still exists...) and I will have access to my
school account via modem, so I'll essentially be in the game though I
might not have quite the same turnaround rate on mail and news....
--
Jim Winstead Jr. (CSci '95)    | "Catch a fish!"
Harvey Mudd College            |  -Geddy Lee,

Disclaimer: Mine, not theirs!  |   January 20, 1992

Post by Darren Se » Tue, 28 Apr 1992 07:23:22

Quote:> >I don't know how many people will be away for the Summer, but if it
> >turns out to be a lot, that would make sense, it seems to me.

> I'm included in those that will be 'away' for the summer, though I
> intend on keeping tabs on comp.os.linux from a public access Unix site
> in Minnesota (if it still exists...) and I will have access to my
> school account via modem, so I'll essentially be in the game though I
> might not have quite the same turnaround rate on mail and news....

I'll still be around in the summer.  I may be new to the Linux game, but
I've been working on BSD for years, so hopefully before the summer I'll
be caught up enough to start making some helpful contributions.

--
Darren Senn                                            Phone:    (408) 479-1521

Wasurenaide -- doko e itte mo soko ni anata wa iru yo.     Santa Cruz, Ca 95062

schedule for upgrades and the Summer [was Re: Upgrades to OS]

Post by Rik Fai » Sat, 02 May 1992 20:57:25

           (Joel M. Hoffman) writes:

Quote:> I suspect many people will no longer be around after mid-May or so.
> Comments?

This isn't true, in general, of graduate students.  I'm looking forward
to the summer since I expect to have more time to hack on linux (just
research, no classes, and a full connection to the internet).  I've been
looking at the situation in a totally different way: I expect a *great*
deal of work to be accomplished during the summer :-)

--

Paradox is the question of Chaos.

1. Yggdrasil Summer 94 to Fall 94 upgrade -- HOW TO???

I have Yggdrasil's Summer 94 running on my 486DX-33 *without* the CD-ROM
(who was asking?) after long hours of setup and fixing problems.
I got the Fall 94 edition CD with X11R6 and so on.

But I can't find any HOW TO upgrade this thing.  I am afraid of loosing all
my setup (parameter files etc) and I have no decent means to backup the whole
system (I am not sure if saving /etc and /usr/etc would suffice).

I have alread looked at ftp.yggdrasil.com and there is nothing about it.
No bookstore here has got the Second Edition Bible and I coudn't see anything
about version upgrade in the announcement.

Does anybody know how to do this?  Have you acctually done that?

I am sure I am not the only one with this problem, so please post what you know.

Thanks a lot.

--

2. help formating Ulta5

3. Upgrade from Linuxppc 1999 with OS 8.6 to OS 9 and YDL 1.2: Problems!

4. MOUNTing with a UID other than 0

5. To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question...

6. SS5 sound problems

7. Upgrading Solaris-Need to upgrade Progress?

8. Migration from Veritas to Solstice

9. Solaris 8 upgrade using Live upgrade method

10. Kernel 2.2, to upgrade or not to upgrade???

11. Upgraded 1.0 - upgrade daemon

12. upgrade to 2.2 required libc5 upgrade?

13. 2.4 - to upgrade or not to upgrade