How do I acces my Linux shares from Sun Solaris????

How do I acces my Linux shares from Sun Solaris????

Post by True Ja » Sun, 18 May 2003 14:57:48

We have a Redhat Linux box and recently bought a SUN workstation.

I would like to know how do I access my Linux shares from my Sun box and viceversa?

How do I set these up? Do I need to have same user account on both the boxes?

Post by renrut » Mon, 19 May 2003 10:10:04

> We have a Redhat Linux box and recently bought a SUN workstation.

> I would like to know how do I access my Linux shares from my Sun box and
> viceversa?

Sounds like the archetypal case for NFS.  How to set up NFS is beyond the
scope of a newsgroup posting.  Check google for details.

Quote:> How do I set these up? Do I need to have same user account on both the
> boxes?

Anytime you use NFS you want to make sure the UID's for all users are the
same across all *nix systems.  To Unix you are a number (a UID) never a
name.  You may think you are a name (your userid), but just like all
network names (i.e "www.google.com") get converted into an IP address
(216.239.53.101) by DNS, your userid "my_name" gets converted into a number
(for instance "500").  If the local system's /etc/passwd file has "my_name"
mapped into 500 and the remote /etc/passwd has "my_name" mapped to 501, you
access the remote machine as UID 500, not 501.  So you want to make sure
"my_name" has UID 500 across all *nix so your security model (i.e file
access permissions) is consistent.

Traditionally, on large systems, this is done with NIS.  The NIS "database"
has a common passwd file that all system reference so if you change the
mapping of "my_name" into a different UID, you only have to do it in one
place.  You could also use LDAP to achieve the same effect.

On a smaller system it's probably easier just to use the local
/etc/passwd's and keep them synchronized manually.  /etc/nsswitch.conf
controls whether you use local files or use nis or ldap.

renrutv