Distributing Motif apps

Post by Paul » Sun, 23 May 1993 04:34:00

Newsgroup: comp.os.linux

Now that Motif is available for Linux, there will no doubt be a flood
of Linux applications that depend on the Motif library.  I would like to
request that such apps be statically linked.  Having non-free proprietary
software on one's Linux box should not be a prerequisite for running
Linux software, IMHO.

Note that I'm not suggesting people should not develop Motif apps for
Linux.  I may think Motif is ugly, and I may disagree *ly with the
so-called "Open" Software Foundation that brought it into the world,
but I can discern the direction of the tide.  I just don't want to be forced
to purchase proprietary software in order to stay current.

Thanks for listening.

Paul Allen

---

Boeing Computer Services, Research & Technology, Computing Environment  (whew!)
"It ain't no fun sleepin' in unless you're awake to enjoy it!" (Bill
Whistlecod)

1. ===HELP: How to port UNIX + Motif client/server app to a WWW app ?? ===

Hello,

I'm interested to find out what might be the best
approach to convert a large Sun UNIX client-server TCP/IP
base C/C++/Motif/Sybase application over to a Web-based
application.

In particular, the client-server app consists of a client-
based X/Motif UNIX app which connects to a database
server application.  The client displays tabular and
graphical data as retrieved from the server application.
The client app makes TCP/IP and SQL calls to the server
which is running C/C++ and a Sybase RDMS.  The server
processes the client requests and then sends raw data
via TCP/IP for the client UNIX workstation to graphically
display with Motif v1.2 calls.

I'm interested in porting the client-server apps to a
PC/Apache + Linux + PHP3 + mySql + HTML environment in
which a Web browser can make requests to the Web server.
The Linux/Apache web server would create and send .gif
images of the data to the browser "on-the-fly". Tabular
data from the server would be sent to the browser via DHTML/
HTML/Java/PHP3, etc.

My hope is that:

1. the Sybase code could be ported to mySQL

2. the client and server C/C++ code could run almnost
as-is under Linux on the server

3. the Motif code could be ported to a freeware/Linux
version of Motif adn run almost as-is

4. the client UI code could be ported to HTML + a server
handlee

5. the Motif graphical output on the server could be
converted to .gifs on the server using some Motif -> .gif
converter code.  The .gif is then sent to the browser
per each browser request.

6. ...or some variation of the above or ??

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas/pointers on how
this porting process could be done most easily/quickly
given the different options I might have.

2. Merge and Terminals

3. Distributing Motif ap

4. GNU Standard C++ Library and the TenDRA C++ compiler?

5. Distributing Motif-based binaries for Linux: how?

6. Compiling error in X

7. Good distributed app technique for Java FreeBSD?

8. Help! I have no problems!

9. Distributed App. Mgmt Tool

10. Need volunteer(s) to distribute/test open source net app (free)

11. Distributed App. Mgmt Tool?

12. How do you want to distribute Linux Apps - Open Country

13. Distributed App. Mgmt Tool?