ATI MACH32 Graphics Ultra Problem and Xconfig

ATI MACH32 Graphics Ultra Problem and Xconfig

Post by Steve Jorgens » Tue, 15 Jun 1993 00:12:24

        I'm a new linux user, and I'm trying to get X to come up on
        my system.  I'm using the x8514new server instead of the
        Xfree86 one to get better performance.  Anyway, I tried using
        the Xconfig included in the tar file, and it sorta comes up in
        1024x768 mode.  The problem is that when I move an xterm to
        the right side of the screen, the whole screen in the band between
        the top and bottom of the xterm turns black.  I figure I've got
        some sort of Xconfig problem, and after poking around the
        news group, and re checking the faq's again, I tried some different
        frequency settings.  Unfortunately, the changes I made didn't affect
        anything.

        Anyway, I'm running on a 486 DX with 8megs, an ATI graphics Ultra,
        an Orchestra 15" SVGA monitor, under the linux.99pl9 kernel, and
        the x8514new X server.  Any help is appreciated.  Sorry if I'm
        missing something obvious.

                                        Steve

Steven Jorgensen           |  Come sweet slumber and shroud me in thy purple

The Khoros Group           |
University of New Mexico   |  DISCLAIMER: Anything said in this message is
Albuquerque, NM 87131      |  just my own warped view of reality
            "Khoros is a trademark of Kh*Research, Inc."

ATI MACH32 Graphics Ultra Problem and Xconfig

Post by Bill Rieme » Tue, 15 Jun 1993 03:23:54

        Steve>       I'm a new linux user, and I'm trying to get X to come up on
        Steve>       my system.  I'm using the x8514new server instead of the
        Steve>       Xfree86 one to get better performance.  Anyway, I tried using
        Steve>       the Xconfig included in the tar file, and it sorta comes up in
        Steve>       1024x768 mode.  The problem is that when I move an xterm to
        Steve>       the right side of the screen, the whole screen in the band between
        Steve>       the top and bottom of the xterm turns black.  I figure I've got
        Steve>       some sort of Xconfig problem, and after poking around the
        Steve>       news group, and re checking the faq's again, I tried some different
        Steve>       frequency settings.  Unfortunately, the changes I made didn't affect
        Steve>       anything.

        Steve>       Anyway, I'm running on a 486 DX with 8megs, an ATI graphics Ultra,
        Steve>       an Orchestra 15" SVGA monitor, under the linux.99pl9 kernel, and
        Steve>       the x8514new X server.  Any help is appreciated.  Sorry if I'm
        Steve>       missing something obvious.

Enough people have been bitten by this problem, that I've added a comment
to the top of this Xconfig-file not to expect it to work with xfree86-1.0,
xfree86-1.1, or x8514new.  It seems that pre-xfree1.2 that the ATI Graphics
Ultra Pro was not properly recognized as an ATI card.  This has the effect
that if you use the correct clock values and carefully compute your modes,
your Xconfig file won't work!  There are a number of people who have
"guessed" at values that work with their monitor, so it is possible
to get x8514new working.  However, since there is no possible way to
check that the horizontal and vertical frequencies are within specifications
for your monitor, I choice to eliminate these guesses from my database.
If someone submits a file that works with x8514new with a correct
ATI Graphics Ultra Pro clock line, I'll gladly accept it.

In the mean time you have three choices.

  1. You can risk damaging your monitor by trying your own guesses.

  2. You can risk damaging your monitor by trying some-else's guesses.

  3. You can use xfree86-1.2 until a new x8514 driver comes out that
     doesn't have this bug comes along.  (My understanding is one will
     be included with xfree86-2.0 this fall.)

I don't claim to be an expert, so I'll be carefully reading any and all
replies to find-out if some x8514 expert has some better suggestions.

                                 Bill

--
"Yeti!  Saw them in the London Underground twenty years ago.  Ghosts!
A headless woman used to walk through my bedroom at midnight.  Mermaids?

Post by Thomas Scheunema » Tue, 15 Jun 1993 20:58:12

[...]

: --
: "Yeti!  Saw them in the London Underground twenty years ago.  Ghosts!
: A headless woman used to walk through my bedroom at midnight.  Mermaids?
: Grandpa was rescued from the Marie Celeste by one.  Vampires?  I always
: wondered where my dad went to at night.  Telepathy?  Right now you're
: thinking that I'm talking crap.  So what can you tell me that I won't
: believe in?" - Andrew Hunt, "CAT'S CRADLE: WITCH MARK"

There is, I think, a common misconception concerning the x8514 X-Server.
It does NOT use the clocks line, because it uses the card in 8514/A mode.
That is, timings are supplied by the graphics-card itself. All ATI-ultra
cards come with a small DOS-install program, which lets you adjust all
timings interactively. The x8514 server uses exactly these timings. So
you can delete all timings from your Xconfig file if you are using the
x8514 server. Some people may have problems using the x8514 server because
they never used the DOS software. By default the card is installed, to
support a standard VGA monitor. That means that the highest resolution
is 640*480. To get the 1024*768 resolution you have to set the timings
correctly using the install program and store them on the card and not
in the Xconfig file.

By the way the newest version of the x8514-server is available on
sunsite.unc.edu under the name x8514scale.tar.Z. This is based on the
Xfree 1.1 release and supports TCP/IP and compressed fonts. It still
supports only 640*480 and 1024*768 modes in 256 colors.

Hope this helps

Thomas Scheunemann

Post by Ernest Leuenberg » Wed, 16 Jun 1993 22:43:41

|> By the way the newest version of the x8514-server is available on
|> sunsite.unc.edu under the name x8514scale.tar.Z. This is based on the
|> Xfree 1.1 release and supports TCP/IP and compressed fonts. It still
|> supports only 640*480 and 1024*768 modes in 256 colors.
|>
|> Hope this helps
|>
|> Thomas Scheunemann

Does this version now reset the VC properly after exiting? Does it allow you
to switch to another VC while running X?

Thanks

Ernest.

ATI MACH32 Graphics Ultra Problem and Xconfig

Post by Thomas Scheunema » Thu, 17 Jun 1993 01:59:54

: |>
: |> By the way the newest version of the x8514-server is available on
: |> sunsite.unc.edu under the name x8514scale.tar.Z. This is based on the
: |> Xfree 1.1 release and supports TCP/IP and compressed fonts. It still
: |> supports only 640*480 and 1024*768 modes in 256 colors.
: |>
: |> Hope this helps
: |>
: |> Thomas Scheunemann
: |>
: Does this version now reset the VC properly after exiting? Does it allow you
: to switch to another VC while running X?

: Thanks

: Ernest.

No and No.

Sorry, Thomas