Shutdown and spin-down

Post by Neil Mark » Mon, 09 Oct 2000 13:19:26

I just put up a new box w/ Slack 7.1.  When I shutdown, an IDE drive that
has spun-down fails during dismount (dma timeout) and the shutdown fails.
Afterward, I must manually reset to get the box back.  Anyone know of any
way to prevent this, other than disabling HD spin-down.  For now I am
putting an /bin/ls >/dev/null into rc.0 to spin-up all the drives before
shutdown but this is a kludge!

Thanks,

NM

Shutdown and spin-down

Post by Ez-Ato » Mon, 09 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I think that there were few issues about specific models of HDD which had
such problems.

Check about it. I wouldn't know more about it.

Oh, and check if hdparm helps (USe it with utmost care!)

Ez.

Quote:> I just put up a new box w/ Slack 7.1.  When I shutdown, an IDE drive that
> has spun-down fails during dismount (dma timeout) and the shutdown fails.
> Afterward, I must manually reset to get the box back.  Anyone know of any
> way to prevent this, other than disabling HD spin-down.  For now I am
> putting an /bin/ls >/dev/null into rc.0 to spin-up all the drives before
> shutdown but this is a kludge!

> Thanks,

> NM

1. spin-down external USB hard drive

I have a external USB hard drive that is mounted under /dev/sda. I
would like to be able to spindown the drive when it's on use. I have
upgraded hdparm to version 6.1 in the hope that it might work but get
the following errors. Is it possible to spin-down an external drive?

# hdparm -Y /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
 issuing sleep command
 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(sleep) failed: Invalid argument

# hdparm -S 10 /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
 setting standby to 10 (50 seconds)
 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(setidle1) failed: Invalid argument

# hdparm -B 10 /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
 setting Advanced Power Management level to 0x0A (10)
 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD failed: Invalid argument

2. User login up the spout!

3. Adaptec 2840 / Is spin-down possible.

4. s3 trio 3d video card problem

5. Hard disk spin-down after innactivity

6. Siemens R/3 Update

7. FreeBSD, APM and disk spin-down

8. Problem with Xlib!

9. Disabling drive access to allow for spin-down

10. hard drive spin-down

11. How to spin-down a Lacie 500GB Big Disk Extreme

12. Program to spin-down SCSI disks?

13. How To Spin-Down a SCSI Disk??