GRUB problem?

Post by Craig Do » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 01:45:35

Hi,

I have recently installed SUSE Linux 8.1 Personal Edition on my PC,
and am now having problems booting into Windows ME (used to boot
fine). The thing is, it never boots the first time and will hang just
after it prints:

title windows
   root (hd0,0)
   makeactive
   chainloader +1

However, if I then press the restart button, it will boot (after
offering to go into safe mode). I have no problems going into Linux.

I have a Maxtor 60GB HDD, which was partitioned using the SUSE
installation partitioning utility. Here is the output from df -h:

Filesytem      Size        Used      Avail     Use%   Mounted on
/dev/hde7      16G         2.4G      13G       16%    /
/dev/hde5      16M         4.7M      9.8M      33%    /boot
/dev/hde1      42G         3.7G      38G       9%     /windows/C
shmfs          252M        0         252M      0%     /dev/shm

(Also, I don't know why it's hde and not hda - thought it started at
'a' and worked through the alphabet...)

Can anyone tell a confused newbie why it is* like this the
first time I try to load Windows but is ok afterwards? I am also
interested in how GRUB works, especially in relation to the MBR boot
loader...

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Best wishes,

Craig Done

GRUB problem?

Post by Bob Wilkinso » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 08:19:46

> Hi,

> I have recently installed SUSE Linux 8.1 Personal Edition on my PC,
> and am now having problems booting into Windows ME (used to boot
> fine). The thing is, it never boots the first time and will hang just
> after it prints:

> title windows# Entry 2: Sample chainloaded OS.
>    root (hd0,0)
>    makeactive
>    chainloader +1

try using

rootnoverify (hd0,0)

rather than

root (hd0,0)

Quote:> However, if I then press the restart button, it will boot (after
> offering to go into safe mode). I have no problems going into Linux.

> I have a Maxtor 60GB HDD, which was partitioned using the SUSE
> installation partitioning utility. Here is the output from df -h:

> Filesytem      Size        Used      Avail     Use%   Mounted on
> /dev/hde7      16G         2.4G      13G       16%    /
> /dev/hde5      16M         4.7M      9.8M      33%    /boot
> /dev/hde1      42G         3.7G      38G       9%     /windows/C
> shmfs          252M        0         252M      0%     /dev/shm

> (Also, I don't know why it's hde and not hda - thought it started at
> 'a' and worked through the alphabet...)

normal ide drives are named (hda, hdb, hdc, hdd). udma devices
(which being a 60GB drive) yours will be, start at hde.

Quote:> Can anyone tell a confused newbie why it is* like this the
> first time I try to load Windows but is ok afterwards? I am also
> interested in how GRUB works, especially in relation to the MBR boot
> loader...

Go here for more answers than I'd care to give

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> Any advice would be much appreciated!

> Best wishes,

> Craig Done

Bob

GRUB problem?

Post by Tim Princ » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:50:33

> Hi,

> I have recently installed SUSE Linux 8.1 Personal Edition on my PC,
> and am now having problems booting into Windows ME (used to boot
> fine). The thing is, it never boots the first time and will hang just
> after it prints:

> title windows
>    root (hd0,0)
>    makeactive
>    chainloader +1

> However, if I then press the restart button, it will boot (after
> offering to go into safe mode). I have no problems going into Linux.

> Can anyone tell a confused newbie why it is* like this the
> first time I try to load Windows but is ok afterwards? I am also
> interested in how GRUB works, especially in relation to the MBR boot
> loader...

Windows partition corruption will do this.  Run chkdsk a couple of times,
because if that's the problem, it will get worse.
--
Tim Prince

GRUB problem?

Post by Craig Do » Mon, 03 Feb 2003 02:23:38

> > Hi,

> > I have recently installed SUSE Linux 8.1 Personal Edition on my PC,
> > and am now having problems booting into Windows ME (used to boot
> > fine). The thing is, it never boots the first time and will hang just
> > after it prints:

> > title windows# Entry 2: Sample chainloaded OS.
> >    root (hd0,0)
> >    makeactive
> >    chainloader +1

> try using

> rootnoverify (hd0,0)

> rather than

> root (hd0,0)

> > However, if I then press the restart button, it will boot (after
> > offering to go into safe mode). I have no problems going into Linux.

> > I have a Maxtor 60GB HDD, which was partitioned using the SUSE
> > installation partitioning utility. Here is the output from df -h:

> > Filesytem      Size        Used      Avail     Use%   Mounted on
> > /dev/hde7      16G         2.4G      13G       16%    /
> > /dev/hde5      16M         4.7M      9.8M      33%    /boot
> > /dev/hde1      42G         3.7G      38G       9%     /windows/C
> > shmfs          252M        0         252M      0%     /dev/shm

> > (Also, I don't know why it's hde and not hda - thought it started at
> > 'a' and worked through the alphabet...)

> normal ide drives are named (hda, hdb, hdc, hdd). udma devices
> (which being a 60GB drive) yours will be, start at hde.

> > Can anyone tell a confused newbie why it is* like this the
> > first time I try to load Windows but is ok afterwards? I am also
> > interested in how GRUB works, especially in relation to the MBR boot
> > loader...

> Go here for more answers than I'd care to give

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> > Any advice would be much appreciated!

> > Best wishes,

> > Craig Done

> Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your response. I altered my menu.conf file as you
suggested, but it's still*, although at a slightly later stage
(the screen goes blank and then hangs).

Anything else I can try to remedy this?

Cheers,

Craig

GRUB problem?

Post by Craig Do » Mon, 03 Feb 2003 02:28:35

> > Hi,

> > I have recently installed SUSE Linux 8.1 Personal Edition on my PC,
> > and am now having problems booting into Windows ME (used to boot
> > fine). The thing is, it never boots the first time and will hang just
> > after it prints:

> > title windows
> >    root (hd0,0)
> >    makeactive
> >    chainloader +1

> > However, if I then press the restart button, it will boot (after
> > offering to go into safe mode). I have no problems going into Linux.

> > Can anyone tell a confused newbie why it is* like this the
> > first time I try to load Windows but is ok afterwards? I am also
> > interested in how GRUB works, especially in relation to the MBR boot
> > loader...

> Windows partition corruption will do this.  Run chkdsk a couple of times,
> because if that's the problem, it will get worse.

Hi,

Thanks for your response. Is this a Windows command? I've ran
scandisk, and there are no errors reported. Is it likely that Linux
has corrupted something, as it was booting fine prior to installing
linux...?

Cheers,

Craig

1. kernel boot with Grub problem

Hi
I am trying to build 2.4.19 kernel. I have been following the posts of
another person who finally managed to get his kernel to boot after
copying a config file from /boot..
Anyways I have not tried that as yet..I am trying to build in the
routine fashion but am unable to get the kernel to boot.
I have a machine with RH Linux 2.4.7-10 on it.
I did not have a /usr/src/linux directory.After un-tarring the kernel
I had a dir /usr/src/linux-2.4.19 [I untarred the kernel src in
/usr/src].
Then I went abt doing the following in /usr/src/linux-2.4.19:

# make mrproper
# make xconfig
[I enabled ramdisk support among other things]
# make dep
# make clean
# make bzImage
# make modules
# make modules_install
# make install
 It is at the end of 'make install' that I get an error "unable to
find lilo.conf".
As I am using Grub I ignored the error. Was that ok [I know my
install.sh looks for LILO...but that is the last statement in the
script]?
According to one poster, after the make install,"The last step
automatically moves all required files and makes a reasonable entry
into /boot/grub/grub.conf (retaining the original kernel entry), which
you can edit if you like."
This was not the case for me..I had to manually put in an entry for
the new kernel.
My grub.conf:
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
password --md5 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.7-10)
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/hda3
        initrd /initrd-2.4.7-10.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.19)  <-------------------- my additions
        root (hd0,1)          <---------------------
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.19 ro root=/dev/hda3<----
        initrd /initrd-2.4.19.img<-------------------
title DOS
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1

I did not notice a initrd.img file in the /boot directory so I made
one:
#mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.19.img 2.4.19
as per the command format of mkinitrd.
This created the file initrd-2.4.19.img in /boot.

However, when trying to boot the 2.4.19 kernel from the GRUB screen,
after the initial message abt the kernel file [vmzlinuz] and the
initrd file and some memory addresses [maps] ...nothing happens..it is
as if grub or whoever cannot find the compressed image to uncompress.
What may be happening?what did I miss ?
Any tips will be appreciated.
Thanks
Umang

2. Automatic inclusion of server-side directive

3. grub problem with RedHat 7.2

4. installing X-Windows 3.3.3 Update

5. multiboot grub problem Redhat 7.3 & WinXp

6. Want a itty bitty quick newsfeed...howto??? (initial setup w/SLS)

7. booting new kernels: lilo/grub problem

8. I BROKE MY COMPUTER USING LINUX

9. GRUB Problems.

10. Grub problem: Hang booting WinME after RedHat

11. SuSE8.1 Grub problem

12. Can't start linux (boot sector/grub problems)

13. GRUB problem,..