Stupid questions about linux dev tools and java dev tools

Stupid questions about linux dev tools and java dev tools

Post by Stev » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 22:52:13

Hi;

I'm a java developer who has been working in linux ( and liking it )
for the past 6 months.

I'm starting to feel comfortable with the environment and I am
thinking about taking my nix and java development skills up a notch.

I have some questions, the answers of which will help get me started.

Will the "make" utility work with java?  If so, why use Ant?

Well the gdb work with Java?  Is it easier then the jdb?  How many
languages does the gdb support?  Can I use either the gdb or jdb to
debug server side applications?  Do I have to recompile my project
with special options to use a de*?

Steve

Post by Christopher Engelhar » Mon, 26 Aug 2002 05:17:00

> Hi;

> I'm a java developer who has been working in linux ( and liking it )
> for the past 6 months.

> I'm starting to feel comfortable with the environment and I am
> thinking about taking my nix and java development skills up a notch.

> I have some questions, the answers of which will help get me started.

> Will the "make" utility work with java?  If so, why use Ant?

I think it would, it's just that you would need to make a ./Makefile
that calls the java compiler rather than the usual gcc.
I don't know what Ant is.

Quote:

> Well the gdb work with Java?  Is it easier then the jdb?  How many
> languages does the gdb support?  Can I use either the gdb or jdb to
> debug server side applications?  Do I have to recompile my project
> with special options to use a de*?

I don't know.
Quote:

> Steve

1. What is the difference between /dev/sg0, /dev/scd0 /dev/hdd and /dev/cdrom ?

Hi people.

I'm trying to debug a problem that I'm having with my CDROM player and
cdparanoia.  They crash talking to each other.

What is the difference between accessing the cdrom via /dev/sg0,
/dev/scd0, /dev/cdrom and /dev/hdd ?

/dev/cdrom is a link, right ?  It is a hard or soft link ?  How would I
point it to something else ?

cdparanoia needs to access the CDROM via a scsi interface.  In order for
that to work, one needs to turn OFF ATAPI CDROM support in the kernel and
turn on general scsi and CDROM scsi support.

Right now my /dev/cdrom device points to /dev/scd0.  Given that cdparanoia
needs a scsi interface, shouldn't this point to /dev/sg0 ?

Furthermore, grub load the following: hdd=ide-scsi.  That means that the
IDE ATAPI CDROM drive will be accessed using the scsi interface, right ?
Could I not point /dev/cdrom to /dev/hdd ?

Thanks,
Nobody

2. Hp printer on bootup; gets an error

3. /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, /dev/midi., /dev/sndsta

4. Howto fix bad blocks on ReiserFS

5. compile linux kernel with FreeBSD linux dev tools?

6. IP_MASQ:reverse ICMP: failed checksum

7. Tools Tools Tools ... wanted

8. Strange "df -k" output for /tmpfs

9. Dev Tools for Linux DBMS's

10. Suggest Linux dev tools, please

11. >/dev/msglog 2<>/dev/msglog </dev/console

12. What is the difference between /dev/ttyS3, /dev/cua3, and /dev/ttys3 ?