Hardware compatibility: Paradise Accelerator Card for Windows?

Hardware compatibility: Paradise Accelerator Card for Windows?

Post by Ian Murdo » Sat, 08 May 1993 14:08:02

I'm looking very seriously for a 486 machine for the sole purpose of running
Linux and X, and hope to have it within the next week.  I've found one that
looks promising, and I want to make sure that it is fully compatible with
Linux and that I will be able to run X in color.

I have found a 486DX2, 66 MHz machine.  It has 8MB RAM, a 340MB HD,
and has the following -- o three full-sized 16-bit ISA compatible slots
                         o three 3/4 length 16-bit ISA compatible slots
                         o one 2/3 length 8-bit ISA compatible slot
(this is, of course, an incomplete list of its features, but the only
 ones relevant to the question)

The video card, which occupies an I/O slot, is called the "Paradise
Accelerator Card for Windows" -- and I just want to make sure that I
will be able to run X in color using this particular card and/or whether
or not this particular card presents any foreseeable problems.  Anyone
out there using this card?  Any problems with it?

Please don't flame me if I sound naive; I have read the FAQs, etc. and
just want to make doubly sure that the $2,700 I spend will not get
me a machine that will not be able to run what I bought it to
run :)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed light on my question and point
me in the right direction!

Ian
--

Hardware compatibility: Paradise Accelerator Card for Windows?

Post by Ian Murdo » Tue, 11 May 1993 08:34:22

In case anyone was wondering what I found out, I read in the "Intel-Unix-X-faq"
that XFree86 does not support accelerated boards.  It recommends that "if
you are purchasing new hardware for the purpose of using XFree86, it is
suggested that you purchase an ET4000-based board such as the Orchid
ProDesigner IIs."

Thanks for all responses.  Later.