zmodem file transfer using rz

Post by Javier Isass » Sat, 27 Jul 2002 20:26:24

Greetings, Linux enthusiasts
Im not very versed in serial ports communications.
Here1s my dilemma.

Im trying to automate a file transfer of a Linux PC1(RH 7.2) using
zmodem protocol and a 3-wire null RS232 serial cable.

Using minicom I can set up the line to disable hardware control (I only have
3 wires)
and I can transfer files without a hitch at 38400 bps. The catch is that the
receiving machine
cannot use minicom because is has to be automated (no terminal)
so Im using the program  ?rz1

minicom uses rz too but somehow ?sets up the line1 before starting the
transfer.

When I try rz in the receiving side I type the line ?rz > /dev/ttyS01 and
when I start sending the
file using minicom on the remote side the handshake occurs and the the
receiving side goes into
RETRY0...RETRY...0 and then times out. Everything indicates that prior to
launch rz in the receiving
side I have to ?prep1 the serial connection...BUT I DON1T KNOW HOW. The rz
man pages does not
cover how to set up your serial flow control or bps.

If I just type rz, like all manuals suggest the data is not sent to the
/dev/ttyS0 but to console
(screen) and it just times out. the man pages talk about a syntax like ?rz
[options] [filename.if.xmodem]

but I have no idea what filename.if.xmodem means.

Thank you in advance.

Long Live Linux.

Post by Javie » Sun, 28 Jul 2002 01:51:52

> NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message

> > Here1s my dilemma.

> stop posting in html

Fine how's pine for you?  and Thanks.
Quote:

> > Long Live Linux.

> then YRU using a mac?

Because even a 5 year old knows how to use it.
--
Javier Isassi.
Software.

zmodem file transfer using rz

Post by Bill Marc » Sun, 28 Jul 2002 07:09:59

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 11:26:24 GMT,

Quote:>> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
>this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

>--B_3110513184_462335

>Greetings, Linux enthusiasts
>Im not very versed in serial ports communications.
>Here1s my dilemma.

>Im trying to automate a file transfer of a Linux PC1(RH 7.2) using
>zmodem protocol and a 3-wire null RS232 serial cable.

>Using minicom I can set up the line to disable hardware control (I only have
>3 wires)
>and I can transfer files without a hitch at 38400 bps. The catch is that the
>receiving machine
>cannot use minicom because is has to be automated (no terminal)
>so Im using the program  ?rz1

>minicom uses rz too but somehow ?sets up the line1 before starting the
>transfer.

>When I try rz in the receiving side I type the line ?rz > /dev/ttyS01 and
>when I start sending the
>file using minicom on the remote side the handshake occurs and the the
>receiving side goes into
>RETRY0...RETRY...0 and then times out. Everything indicates that prior to
>launch rz in the receiving
>side I have to ?prep1 the serial connection...BUT I DON1T KNOW HOW. The rz
>man pages does not
>cover how to set up your serial flow control or bps.

man stty

Quote:>If I just type rz, like all manuals suggest the data is not sent to the
>/dev/ttyS0 but to console
>(screen) and it just times out. the man pages talk about a syntax like ?rz
>[options] [filename.if.xmodem]

>but I have no idea what filename.if.xmodem means.

You don't need to worry about it since sz/rz use zmodem protocol by
default.
Xmodem is a much older protocol, which transmits only the contents of a
file, so the receiver has to provide a filename.

Post by Javier Isas » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 06:02:21

> On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 11:26:24 GMT,

> >> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
> >this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

> >--B_3110513184_462335

> >Greetings, Linux enthusiasts
> >Im not very versed in serial ports communications.
> >Here1s my dilemma.

> >Im trying to automate a file transfer of a Linux PC1(RH 7.2) using
> >zmodem protocol and a 3-wire null RS232 serial cable.

> >Using minicom I can set up the line to disable hardware control (I only have
> >3 wires)
> >and I can transfer files without a hitch at 38400 bps. The catch is that the
> >receiving machine
> >cannot use minicom because is has to be automated (no terminal)
> >so Im using the program  ?rz1

> >minicom uses rz too but somehow ?sets up the line1 before starting the
> >transfer.

> >When I try rz in the receiving side I type the line ?rz > /dev/ttyS01 and
> >when I start sending the
> >file using minicom on the remote side the handshake occurs and the the
> >receiving side goes into
> >RETRY0...RETRY...0 and then times out. Everything indicates that prior to
> >launch rz in the receiving
> >side I have to ?prep1 the serial connection...BUT I DON1T KNOW HOW. The rz
> >man pages does not
> >cover how to set up your serial flow control or bps.

> man stty

thanks for the reply. I used stty to no avail. WHen I use minicom I set
use com2 /dev/ttyS1 and set it to 38400 baud rate no crtscts, xonxoff and
works just fine under minicom, then I go to my prompt and type:

stty -F /dev/ttyS1 38400 -crtscts ixoff

and then I do...

rz -vv -b -E > /dev/ttyS1

and system waits and when I start the transfer I get

Retry 0: Got TIMEOUT
Retry 0: Got TIMEOUT
Retry 15: GOt 015 sector header

and program exits with incomplete transfer..

thanks for any advice...some script will be highly welcomed.

J.

Post by Javier Isas » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 22:58:31

> > On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 11:26:24 GMT,

> > >this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

> > >--B_3110513184_462335

> > >Greetings, Linux enthusiasts
> > >Im not very versed in serial ports communications.
> > >Here1s my dilemma.

> > >Im trying to automate a file transfer of a Linux PC1(RH 7.2) using
> > >zmodem protocol and a 3-wire null RS232 serial cable.

> > >Using minicom I can set up the line to disable hardware control (I only have
> > >3 wires)
> > >and I can transfer files without a hitch at 38400 bps. The catch is that the
> > >receiving machine
> > >cannot use minicom because is has to be automated (no terminal)
> > >so Im using the program  ?rz1

> > >minicom uses rz too but somehow ?sets up the line1 before starting the
> > >transfer.

> > >When I try rz in the receiving side I type the line ?rz > /dev/ttyS01 and
> > >when I start sending the
> > >file using minicom on the remote side the handshake occurs and the the
> > >receiving side goes into
> > >RETRY0...RETRY...0 and then times out. Everything indicates that prior to
> > >launch rz in the receiving
> > >side I have to ?prep1 the serial connection...BUT I DON1T KNOW HOW. The rz
> > >man pages does not
> > >cover how to set up your serial flow control or bps.

> > man stty

> thanks for the reply. I used stty to no avail. WHen I use minicom I set
> use com2 /dev/ttyS1 and set it to 38400 baud rate no crtscts, xonxoff and
> works just fine under minicom, then I go to my prompt and type:

> stty -F /dev/ttyS1 38400 -crtscts ixoff

> and then I do...

> rz -vv -b -E > /dev/ttyS1

> and system waits and when I start the transfer I get

> Retry 0: Got TIMEOUT
> Retry 0: Got TIMEOUT
> Retry 15: GOt 015 sector header

> and program exits with incomplete transfer..

> thanks for any advice...some script will be highly welcomed.

> J.

Nevermind...the missing part was receiving a file via serial
port using zmodem protocol:

rz -vv -b -E > /dev/ttyS1 < /dev/ttyS1

those developing linux apps for handheld devices may find this useful.
J.

1. rz/zmodem: tip session, escape to local 'rz' for zmodem download

Howdy all-

Can anyone share their experiences using 'tip' to download files with
zmodem protocol.

Here's my experience:

When I tip to a remote host and start downloading w/ zmodem, I try to
escape back to my local system and start the receiving end using 'rz'
( rz  <filename>) -- but the download doesn't seem to start ( I
suppose it could be moving along but I'm too impatient).  I've tried
escaping back using " ~| " (tilde - pipe) and " ~! " (tilde - bang).

I experience problems with both remote PCs and Unix systems (and I've
compiled rz and sz locally, so I don't think I have a binary problem)

Any ideas?

-Justin

2. NETGEAR 310TX Ethernet card good for a server?

3. Question about ZModem transfer protocol, rz.

4. Newbie Needs help

5. Using Zmodem for file transfer over a direct connection.

6. Newbie IP-printing question

7. Help requested for zmodem uploads using rz/sz...

8. Newbie question 01 - Sound card output very low.

9. Problem with zmodem file upload(rz)

10. zmodem file transfer problems

11. Zmodem file transfers for Unix

12. zmodem transfer of files to PC?