Problems with permissons

Post by P Caus » Sun, 31 Oct 1993 04:46:49

: I have a slight problem with my permissions for rlogin.
: If I try to rlogin as my self to another machine I get the
: message :
: rcmd: socket: Permission denied

This is because rlogin's authentication mechanism is based on the
originating port checking. The rlogin client uses a privileged port
number that can be opened only by root, therefore what you describe
below is not surprising...

: If I do the same thing as root it works fine. Do I have to
: set rlogin SUID or is there some other way to fix this?

Yes, you have to do a chmod u+s on rlogin. There is no need to fix it,
this ain't no bug, this is a feature (!)

PS: if you are using pl13, get net-2's rlogin. The SLS' one is wrong.
Typical behaviour:
        rlogin: user defined signal 1
--

Enjoy the Linux way of life !     /\         /\
----------------------------     /  \  ^ ^  /  \

1. filemgr mknod:permisson denied error

I am getting the error message mknod: permission denied when I try to use
filemgr under Solaris 2.3.

The error goes away when I use root.

I have checked all the permissions I can think of (mknod, /tmp, /var and
the rest) and cannot find anything wrong.

Anyone have an idea, or how to get a more verbose error from filemgr?

Thanks in advance.

2. Muliprocessor Linux

3. SVGALIB - cannot get I/O permissons

4. reached maximal mount count ???

5. Permissons help pleaaaaaaase

6. NetWare printer as a linux printer.

7. Permissons on stand-alone linux

8. CPU and Memory usage

9. Restore file permissons

10. User Permissons and Internet connection

11. help# /dev/cdrom permisson denied..

12. ftp changes the permissons of files

13. problems, problems, 37.5 GB, problems, 1024, problems...