ATI Ultra 1Meg ISA or EISA (*NOT* VESA) will it work?

ATI Ultra 1Meg ISA or EISA (*NOT* VESA) will it work?

Post by John V. Jaskols » Sat, 15 May 1993 04:53:12

Hello,

I am preparing to purchase a video board and want to go with the ATI
Ultra with 1 Meg  on board.  The 8514/a notes that I have say that the
driver for 8514 works with the ATI Ultra *VESA* board.  Is there a
driver for the ATI Ultra ISA or EISA (w/1 Meg)?

If someone is already using this can you tell me exactly what settings
I need?  (i.e., send me an Xconfig file).
(The thing I dread most is using wrong settings, having the
system freeze, being forced to power down to reboot (WITHOUT
synching), not being able to repair the system with fsck, and having
to reinstall the whole thing ONLY to go through the same thing over
and over and over again!!!  That is what I had to do with stupid SCO!)

Thank You,

Sincerely,
Dr. John V. Jaskolski

--

mm

ATI Ultra 1Meg ISA or EISA (*NOT* VESA) will it work?

Post by Stephen Shortla » Sat, 15 May 1993 17:27:07

Quote:>I am preparing to purchase a video board and want to go with the ATI
>Ultra with 1 Meg  on board.  The 8514/a notes that I have say that the
>driver for 8514 works with the ATI Ultra *VESA* board.  Is there a
>driver for the ATI Ultra ISA or EISA (w/1 Meg)?

I am using an ATI Graphics Ultra on a DELL 486D66 ISA machine, with
no problems. I am using the x8514 X server, and it works like a dream -
the best thing about this server it that there is no fiddling around
with settings in the Xconfig file. As far as I can remember, the only
thing that needs to be set is the display resolution (I didn't even
have to do that, as the default setting was fine for me). The x8514
server is very fast, and seems to be very stable - I have been using
it for a few months with no problems.

I'm not sure what the latest version is, but have a browse around you
local linux ftp site and look for x8514.

Quote:>(The thing I dread most is using wrong settings, having the
>system freeze, being forced to power down to reboot (WITHOUT
>synching), not being able to repair the system with fsck, and having
>to reinstall the whole thing ONLY to go through the same thing over
>and over and over again!!!  That is what I had to do with stupid SCO!)

The process `update' runs every 30 seconds and syncs the disk - so if
something * happens (you loose your kbd or display), just wait
at least 30 seconds and the system will sync for you.

I have been using Linux for a few months now, and I have not managed
to corrupt a disk yet. I share the machine with a DOS user, so Linux
is booted, and shut down several times a day. The only problem I had
was recently when somebody tried to install DRDOS 6.0 on another
disk - for some reason the DRDOS 6.0 install program decided that
my linux root and swap partitions were DOS partitions, and tried to
write to them!!! Made a bit of a mess of a few inodes.

Stephen...
--
| Stephen Shortland,      | Motorola Ireland Ltd,    |                      |

| Phone +353-21-357101    | Blackrock, Cork,         |    glas.rtsg.mot.com |
| Fax.  +353-21-357635    | IRELAND.                 |                      |

Post by pmkie.. » Sun, 16 May 1993 07:18:02

>I am preparing to purchase a video board and want to go with the ATI
>Ultra with 1 Meg  on board.  The 8514/a notes that I have say that the
>driver for 8514 works with the ATI Ultra *VESA* board.  Is there a
>driver for the ATI Ultra ISA or EISA (w/1 Meg)?

That's odd, there is something wrong there. Ever since I started using Linux (
4 months [?] ago) I have been steadily using the 8514scale server with my
ISA ATI Ultra board (1 Meg). No problem at all

Quote:>If someone is already using this can you tell me exactly what settings
>I need?  (i.e., send me an Xconfig file).

With the Ultra board, you set up you sync rates, etc. using the DOS
set-up program that came with it, save it int the EEPROM, and away you
go. No clocks hassles, etc. Note that does not save you the problem
of accidently burning your monitor with the wrong settings....if your
monitor is not listed in the set up and you do a custom setup (as I did),
it is every bit possible to burn your monitor, though not as likely
as some may make out. I use 1024x768x256 72Hz non-interlaced on a
full usage 15" monitor, and its very nice indeed. I send you an XConfig if you
like, but I found the one that came with the 8514 Server quite good...I just
fiddled the mouse settings, added some Font paths and all was fine.

Paul Kierstead

1. Linux on eisa\isa\vesa mo

A>    I would like to know if there anyone using Linux in A.I.R eisa\isa
A>motherboard.

I haven't tried it on an ALR not that I wouldn't mind. They're a gorgeous
machine. I'm running Linux (Yggdrasil Fall 93) on an EISA based AWARD bios
system with absolutely no problems. I've only 8 Mbytes and 480 Mbytes of
harddrive space but she seems pretty happy.

                                                Catch Ye Later
                                                 Davin George

        3:771/370.

    WinQwk 2.0 a#0

2. not enough memory error

3. Frame grabbers for EISA, ISA or VESA local bus

4. Problem with Nenscript on Solaris 2.4

5. Linux on eisa\isa\vesa motherboards ???!!

6. Strange mouse issues?

7. X/SVGAlib/ATI Ultra Pro (VESA) card 2MB

8. VOODOO BANSHEE

9. question about EISA/VLB and EISA/ISA/VLB MBs

10. Mylex EISA-board/ELSA Winner 1000 (ISA/EISA) and Solaris

11. ATI Mach64 Xpression ISA 2MB Does Not Work

12. x86-2.1,ATI Ultra Pro Eisa,3C509 and Adaptec 1742 problems

13. X with ATI Ultra Pro EISA