Convert MPEG2 to DivX

Post by fett_bac » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:25:57

Hello,
I'm searching for a way to convert MPEG2 Videostreams to DivX. I want
to do that on my server running Redhat 7.3. It has no X installed and
i didn't find anything usefull at google. I only have a ssh acces to
the computer so i'm searching for a console tool. Can anyone help me?

Thomas Kobler

Convert MPEG2 to DivX

Post by anonymoos » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:18:17

> Hello,
> I'm searching for a way to convert MPEG2 Videostreams to DivX. I want to
> do that on my server running Redhat 7.3. It has no X installed and i
> didn't find anything usefull at google. I only have a ssh acces to the
> computer so i'm searching for a console tool. Can anyone help me?

> Thomas Kobler

You can try MPlayer (http://www.mplayerhq.hu). It comes with MEncoder
which should do the job.

There's also Transcode which should work as well.
(http://www.theorie.physik.uni-goettingen.de/~ostreich/transcode)

I'd compile them from the latest source if I were you.  As for which is
better, just read the docs and pick the one you like.

-- anonymoose

Convert MPEG2 to DivX

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:21:31

Quote:> Hello,
> I'm searching for a way to convert MPEG2 Videostreams to DivX. I want
> to do that on my server running Redhat 7.3. It has no X installed and
> i didn't find anything usefull at google. I only have a ssh acces to
> the computer so i'm searching for a console tool. Can anyone help me?

> Thomas Kobler

quick google search came up with this:

http://www.emulinks.de/divx/

will this work?

ken k

Convert MPEG2 to DivX

Post by fett_bac » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 04:52:19

Thanks for the info. The description sounds good, but unfortunately
i'm unable to get it working. i guess it has something to do with some
missing symbolic links. But i hope i'll manage this soon. Anyway,
thank you for the quick reply.

Thomas Kobler