Eiffel on Linux question

Post by Burak Bayram » Mon, 27 Feb 1995 07:20:26

Can anyone using ISE Eiffel on Linux please tell me how the
performance would be on a 486 DX/2 66 PC with 8 Meg, and 50 Megs set aside
for Eiffel development? With ISE's Windows 3.1 version of their
compiler coming out, I coudn't decide which one to buy.

If I go for Linux, I'll have to get Motif as well which is another
$100. Is there any free Motif available yet by the way ???

Thanks in advance.

Burak Bayramli
Stevens Institute of Technology

Eiffel on Linux question

Post by Christopher B. Brow » Mon, 27 Feb 1995 13:23:40

>Can anyone using ISE Eiffel on Linux please tell me how the
>performance would be on a 486 DX/2 66 PC with 8 Meg, and 50 Megs set aside
>for Eiffel development? With ISE's Windows 3.1 version of their
>compiler coming out, I coudn't decide which one to buy.

Probably fairly comparable.  Seeing as how the process management
system is superior in Linux's case (MS-DOS doesn't have one, which
means Windows doesn't have one.), you may get significantly better
performance.

Quote:>If I go for Linux, I'll have to get Motif as well which is another
>$100. Is there any free Motif available yet by the way ???

There have been periodic rumours of Russian programmers working on
it, but nothing real.  There are several commercial editions of
Motif available; you will very likely have to buy that, assuming
that it's mandatory for ISE Eiffel.  I presume that that's why you
say you'll "have to get Motif."  If it *isn't* mandatory, then
you may not wish to bother.  Motif has *some* friends, but there
are a lot of people who seem not to like it very much.
--

Fatal Error: Found [MS-Windows] System -> Repartitioning Disk for Linux...