16 colour graphics libs

Post by Damyan Pepp » Fri, 22 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I am having loads of trouble trying to get a graphics library that provides a
decent number of primitives (i.e. more than get/set pixel) and will still work
in a graphics mode with 16 colours.  Svgalib is nice, but GL doesn't work
properly in a 16 color mode -- you always have to write off the screen and
then copy it all on, and the copying is really messy (it takes about 4 passes
to draw the screen).  I really like the look of libgrx but again it won't work
in a 16 color mode -- blitting doesn't work properly and it has lots of
trouble drawing lines!

Can anyone recommend a graphics library that will work for a mode such as
this.

While on the subject does anyone know of a graphics library that supports
loadable drivers (such as those on TGE for DOS?)

Cheers,
Damyan

16 colour graphics libs

Post by Obryan Anthony » Wed, 27 Mar 1996 04:00:00

: Can anyone recommend a graphics library that will work for a mode such as
: this.

I forgot the name of the package, but there is a Borland BGI-compatible
driver (though not from Borland) for Linux that works in 16 colors.  The
filled polygon routines are VERY SLOW, but everything else seems to work
at least as well as the Borland DOS drivers.  And some of the routines work
faster than with DOS (the getimage() and putimage() are two notable
examples).

I am in the process of writing a BGI-compatible driver for the Trident
8900 using 640x480x256 and 640x480x16M.

16 colour graphics libs

Post by Uwe Bonn » Wed, 27 Mar 1996 04:00:00

:
: : Can anyone recommend a graphics library that will work for a mode such as
: : this.
:
: I forgot the name of the package, but there is a Borland BGI-compatible
: driver (though not from Borland) for Linux that works in 16 colors.  The
sunsite-unc.edu(and mirrors):pub/Linux/libs/graphcs/bgi_library.tar.gz

1. Strange Graphic Overlaps in 16,32 bit color depths

I really have several issues, and I hope to get at least a few of them
fixed soon.  I'll start with a few details:

Diamond Stealth Video Vram (64?) with 4MB (verified).
XFConfig says - Identifier "Vision 968"
I do have the screens set up for Depths of 8, 16, and 32.
I have NO PROBLEM getting 16 or 32 bit modes, I just have a problem with
the display when I do!

Can anyone tell me why my X windows gives me overlapping graphics in 16
and 32 bit color depths?  By overlapping, I mean that the left half of
my monitor screen is duplicated from the middle and off to the right of
the screen.  Just imagine an Xterm with on the left side of my monitor
screen, mirrored exactly on the right side, including seeing any typing
in the left box in the right box.  Now, it's even worse because
everything is mirrored that way and that is downright confusing.  Even
the login window (kdm) gives this mirroring effect.  I just don't get
it, and I haven't found anything (yet) in the documentation that
describes this!

A second and lesser problem occurs with 8 bit depth.  I have commented
out all XFConfig entries for interlaced Modelines, yet I still get
strange flickerings of the monitor when the graphics move around in KDE
or Gnome (whichever I try).  Sometimes there are striations on the
screen that appear while a graphic Window is moving around.

I would really like to use 16 or 32 bit depth for color, but I must
resolve these issues.  ANY HELP Whatsoever will be appreciated.

Ron Gaw

2. cron survey

3. Can't get more than 16 colors from SVGA graphics library?!?

4. CABLE BOX DESCRAMBLER BUILD YOUR OWN DESCRAMBLER FAST CHEAP AND EASY

5. Avanti layout tool fail to run on 16/24 bits color graphic.

6. http://razor.sourceforge.net/

7. MetroX in 64K/16.7M colors/1024x768 and ATI Graphics Pro Turbo (Mach64) Problems

8. dvd recording problems

9. SPEA graphic card, only 16 colors?

10. VLB, 16 MB, Cirrus 5428, and 16/24 bit color

11. FS - 16" Sun Color Monitors - $59.99 - 17" Sun Color Monitors $69.99

12. MPEG_PLAY colour wrong for 24 and 16 bit colour

13. 256 colors for my 16 color X server?