learning serial programming for Linux/Unix

learning serial programming for Linux/Unix

Post by Rob Newber » Fri, 02 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I want to write several programs which do various things with my modem.  But
I've never really done any serious modem programming.  Consequently, I need to
do some learning.

I went to several bookstores.  Computer Literacy had a HUGE selection of data
communications books, but everyone I could find about serial communications
was written for the DOS programmer -- it started out with six chapters on how
to program a UART.

In my situation, I trust the device driver to do that.  I just want to know
how to control the modem, assert DTR, set baud rates, send commands and read

I have looked at some pieces of source code -- I've looked at minicom and
mgetty/vgetty.  I am VERY glad there is source code there (THANKS TO EVERYONE
RESPONSIBLE!), but sometimes, I can't figure out from the code what a
particular function does.  Plus, they call various library/system calls which
I don't know.

So, does anyone have a recommendation on a book or document describing the
serial routines for Linux, Unix, or Posix?  Someone recommended I get the
POSIX docs themselves -- would they be helpful? where can I get them?

Thanks tons for any help!

Rob

Rob Newberry               Education and Technology Solutions, Inc.

Phone: 301 530 2475        Bethesda, Maryland 20817
FAX: 301 530 6485

      The secret to happiness is knowing how many
          weekdays you can afford a hangover.

Post by Michael K. Johns » Sat, 03 Jun 1995 04:00:00

   I want to write several programs which do various things with my
   modem.  But I've never really done any serious modem programming.
   Consequently, I need to do some learning.

   [...]

   So, does anyone have a recommendation on a book or document describing
   the serial routines for Linux, Unix, or Posix?  Someone recommended I
   get the POSIX docs themselves -- would they be helpful? where can I
   get them?

I recommend *Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment* by
W. Richard Stevens. This book, often abbreviated APitUE, was an
instant net classic when it was published a few years ago.  One
of the examples in the book is a modem dialer, and another is
communicating over a serial link with a postscript printer.
It explains termios sufficiently well to understand how to use
it, IMHO.  It's ISBN is 0-201-56317-7

I don't have a copy of any POSIX standards at this point, so
I can't comment on how helpful they would be.

michaelkjohnson

1. learning unix programming by studying unix source code ?

Hi,
would it be a good way to learn unix programming to the bottom if
one would work thru source codes of some of the freely available
unixes (like linux for example) ? This assumes one knows assembler
and C.

Thanx,
OggieD.

Cmpt.Sci major - 1st year
University of Saskatchewan
Saskatoon, Canada

2. How do I mount a floppy disk - novice or FAQ question

3. Where to Learn Unix C Programming??

4. Slackware 1.1.1 Mice aplenty

5. LEarning to program in UNIX Specs

6. kernel error

7. Learning Unix C Programming

8. /bin/df doesn't work on RAID disk

9. Any body is learning the Unix Network Programing Vol 1?

10. learn unix shell programming

11. **LEARN UNIX programming!**

12. C programmer wants to learn unix programming