Suspend an application to disk

Post by Uwe Bonne » Fri, 05 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hallo,

is there any posibility to suspend some application to disk?

Bye

Post by Preston F. Cr » Fri, 05 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>is there any posibility to suspend some application to disk?

You might want to take a look at Condor.  It is designed to allow you
to submit long-running jobs to a batch queue.  The jobs are sent to
whatever workstation happens to be available on the local net, where
they are run, periodically saving themselves.  All system calls go
through a modified library that routes them over the net to the host
machine, so it's mostly only good for computationly-heavy jobs.

For X apps, though, it's much harder to do it, as you have program
state both in the application process and in the X server.  You would
have to somehow save not only the state of the application, but the
state of all socket connections and enough information to reestablish
them.

--PC

--
I am seeking immediate operating systems-related employment in the
Boston, MA area.

Post by Uwe Bonne » Sat, 06 Sep 1997 04:00:00

: >is there any posibility to suspend some application to disk?

: You might want to take a look at Condor.  It is designed to allow you
: to submit long-running jobs to a batch queue.  The jobs are sent to

Where do I find information about Condor?

Bye

Post by Preston F. Cr » Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>: >is there any posibility to suspend some application to disk?
>: You might want to take a look at Condor.  It is designed to allow you
>: to submit long-running jobs to a batch queue.  The jobs are sent to
>Where do I find information about Condor?

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/

--PC
--
I am seeking immediate operating-systems-related employment in the
Boston, MA area.
I should complete my Ph.D. in Computer Science within 6 months.

Post by Uwe Bonne » Thu, 11 Sep 1997 04:00:00

: >: >is there any posibility to suspend some application to disk?

: ...

: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/

Reading through the condor specs, I find a lot of information there, but
none regarding my problem. Could you please be more specific?

Bye

Post by Preston F. Cr » Thu, 11 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>: >: >is there any posibility to suspend some application to disk?
>: ...
>: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/
>Reading through the condor specs, I find a lot of information there, but
>none regarding my problem. Could you please be more specific?

Condor checkpoints (saves the entire state to disk) processes
periodically.  It does this both for reliability and for process
migration.  It's probably not exactly what you're looking for, but you
could probably use it as a start if you want to implement something.

--PC

--
I am seeking immediate operating-systems-related employment in the
Boston, MA area.
I should complete my Ph.D. in Computer Science within 6 months.

1. RH Linux 9 suspends application program execution for long periods

Is this a known problem with Redhat Linux 9? Is it network related?

Currently I'm using Redhat Linux 9 as the RTOS for an embedded
application.

From within my code I measure very accurately the period of time my
application is not running when it should be. In other words I measure
the time periods Linux suspends my application in favor of OS
activities.

My application is run with nice set to -10, everything else in the
process listing has a nice value of 0, I am the only user logged in
and the only user application running. In addition, my code has no
interrupts, is single threaded and runs its tasks from a polling loop.
The polling loop has a call to nanosleep(duration of 100 mSec).
nanosleep is similar to sleep and usleep, so the loop is executed 10
times per second, ... or so I expected.

While the tasks in my polling loop are extremely fast, Linux is still
willing to suspend them to perform tasks of its own. My code can run
for hours, even days, and the maximum time that Linux suspends my app
at any point is 30 mSec or so. However, at certain times, when certain
XP boxes are on the network, Linux gets distracted with something (I
don't know what), probably network related, and is willing to ditch my
application and go away for 13 seconds or more. Unfortunately, this
dropout is unacceptable for my application which must run on a typical
network.

I've tried installing Linux with only a minimum number of packages,
ftp, Gnome, X-Window, not much else; it still behaves the same way.

/***********************************
 * Has anyone else observed this?
 **********************************/

Do I need a custom RTOS version of Linux or perhaps the Enterprise
version?

many TIA.

- Geoff

Experient Corp., www.experient.com
Denver, CO

2. RedHat 6.1 Initio U2W : Driver Disk???

3. suspend-to-{ram/disk} cleanups/fixes for 2.5.21

4. Workaround for XF86_W32 3.1.2 server shutdown delay/blank screen

5. vxresize caused disk IO suspended?

6. Lost SIGCHLD signals -- a bug?

7. Suspend to disk - Unknown interrupt

8. special characters w/ netscape messenger

9. Monitor/disk-drive suspend support?

10. Implement "suspend to disk" in kernel/loader?

11. suspend-to-disk: prototype fixes

12. suspend-to-{RAM,disk} for 2.5.17

13. suspend-to-disk: cleanup printks(), rearrange reading