Java applet and Java plug-in

Post by Young-Jin Le » Sat, 24 Aug 2002 00:05:01

Hi, I have a question about Java applet and Java plug-in in Linux.
I am developing a Java applet and I want to be able to run it on Linux. But
I don't know what to do to make it run.
I thought installing Java plug-in (JRE) for Linux from Sun will do the
trick, but it didn't. When the browser opens a Java applet, it was forwarded
to the Sun's JRE download page and no more. In windows, the browser
automatically download and install an appropriate JRE if it is not installed
and the Applet runs.

Is there any way to do that in Linux (I am using RedHat 7.3 and I test
Nescape and Mozilla)?

Thanks in advance.

YJ

Java applet and Java plug-in

Post by Rex Diete » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 16:08:20

Quote:> Hi, I have a question about Java applet and Java plug-in in Linux.
> I am developing a Java applet and I want to be able to run it on Linux.
But
> I don't know what to do to make it run.
> I thought installing Java plug-in (JRE) for Linux from Sun will do the
> trick, but it didn't.

That *should* do the trick.  If the browser in question doesn't find java,
it means you most likely mis-installed it.  For netscape, files from the
jre's plugin folder have to be copied to /usr/lib/netscape/plugins... For
mozilla, symlinks to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins are supposed to work (or copy
there too), but I've personally never been able to get *anY* version of
mozilla to use *any* version of the java plugin (except that it(java) works
for root, but only root).

Quote:> Is there any way to do that in Linux (I am using RedHat 7.3 and I test
> Nescape and Mozilla)?

Don't think so, since installing the jre most likely requires root access,
which 99.9% of linux users don't have (when not logged in as root, that
is...).

-- Rex

Java applet and Java plug-in

Post by Robin Rosenber » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 19:54:34

>> Hi, I have a question about Java applet and Java plug-in in Linux.
>> I am developing a Java applet and I want to be able to run it on Linux.
> But
>> I don't know what to do to make it run.
>> I thought installing Java plug-in (JRE) for Linux from Sun will do the
>> trick, but it didn't.

> That should do the trick.  If the browser in question doesn't find java,
> it means you most likely mis-installed it.  For netscape, files from the
> jre's plugin folder have to be copied to /usr/lib/netscape/plugins... For
> mozilla, symlinks to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins are supposed to work (or
> copy there too), but I've personally never been able to get anY version
> of mozilla to use any version of the java plugin (except that it(java)
> works for root, but only root).

I made this link AND upgraded mozilla and minor subversion: Mozilla looks
for libjavaplugin_oji.so, NOT libjavaplugin_jni.so.

ln -s /usr/java/j2sdk1.4/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so
/usr/lib/mozilla-1.1b/plugins/

I'm using this version, mozilla-1.1-0.branch.2mdk. The version before
did not work for me.

Quote:>> Is there any way to do that in Linux (I am using RedHat 7.3 and I test
>> Nescape and Mozilla)?

> Don't think so, since installing the jre most likely requires root access,
> which 99.9% of linux users don't have (when not logged in as root, that
> is...).

If you do not have root access, you can install the plugin for your user
only.

ln -s /usr/java/j2sdk1.4/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so
.mozilla/plugins/

Get the TAR packega instream of the RPM and installa it under your own user.
Root access is not needed. RPM's can also be installed locally sometimes
if you create and use your own rpm database.

-- robin

In the systems being developed here, everything is coded in Java. There
are about 100 Java applications each running its own virtual machine.

I'm supposed to work with test and performance analysis of these systems
and I'm using tools that log system behaviour on process level.

The problem is that all I see is 100 processes named Java with some
small variations in command line parameters.

Is there a safe way to alter the process names either at startup or at
runtime ?
What could be the consequences of doing such a thing ?

//Hans Hagberg

2. dosemu0.53: How reliable is it?

3. Netscape helpers and plug-ins, also java help

4. Multicast loop back question

5. Java plug-ins for AIX

6. ATI All-In-Wonder + RH7

7. Netscape - Mozilla Java plug-ins

8. Permission Prob

9. problem running Java Applets on linux - threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread ????

10. RedHat 6 and Netscape fix for Java for things like yahoo Java chat applet

11. java/50729: java/jdk14: broken java.net.NetworkInterface calls

12. java/47447: linux-sun-jdk1.4.1: java command can't find java.lang.Object