database management

Post by Ian » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 18:09:35

>Hi, Which is the most recomended database in Linux?
>Maybe MySQL or PostgreSQL or another one?
>Tranks a lot

Those are the two most popular for sure, and they're both reasonable
alternatives. As with anything else, the answer to "which one is better?"
is "it depends". MySQL probably wins for pure speed, but Postgres currently
has more features. Can't really say more than that without more details.

database management

Post by Christopher Brown » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:26:19

Quote:> Hi, Which is the most recomended database in Linux?
> Maybe MySQL or PostgreSQL or another one?

Are you simply looking for blind votes?  Or for informed
recommendations?

I'd be inclined to point at the fact that MySQL licenses are priced at
$440 USD.  Nobody is charging for PostgreSQL licenses, so you're
certainly way ahead in terms of price, even before looking into more
technical issues...
--

http://cbbrowne.com/info/linux.html
Objects & Markets

database management

Post by Christopher Brown » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:37:43

More specifically, MySQL probably has better performance for certain
kinds of data access patterns, typically those involving opening DB
connections that submit one query that provide one row as a result.

For scenarios involving more complex queries, PostgreSQL is likely
either to be faster or to support queries that MySQL simply can't
support.
--

http://cbbrowne.com/info/nonrdbms.html
"Everything should  be made as  simple as possible, but  not simpler."

database management

Post by Matthew Palme » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:30:43

LiliTa is of the opinion:

Quote:> Hi, Which is the most recomended database in Linux?
> Maybe MySQL or PostgreSQL or another one?

Oh dear, another flamewar in the making...

Those two are the big pair in FOSS DBMS.  I mostly use MySQL myself, since
it's dead simple to get going and keep running, and has all of the basic
stuff needed.  PostgreSQL is the heavy hitter, with all the stuff you'd
expect from a commercial RDBMS, including triggers, referential integrity,
stored procs, et al.  With all that power comes more complexity, so you
need to make the tradeoff of power vs. simplicity.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer, Geek In Residence
http://ieee.uow.edu.au/~mjp16