Looking for high quality OCR software

Post by zachary bro » Fri, 29 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I have access to a scanner with OCR software, but the material I'm
scanning is posing too many difficulties for it (an out of copyright
dictionary). Is there any really good, perhaps neural net trainable,
OCR software for linux?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Zack

Post by Ralf W. Steph » Sat, 30 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:zachary brown writes:
> I have access to a scanner with OCR software, but the material I'm
> scanning is posing too many difficulties for it (an out of copyright
> dictionary). Is there any really good, perhaps neural net trainable,
> OCR software for linux?

There is a GNU OCR program which is way behind the commercial software
that you can get now, but the situation isn't any better with PD soft for
MSDOS.  OCR needs state-of-the-art techniques, so it's a hot market.

BTW, you won't find a good speech recognition, either.  All the knowledgable
guys are playing for the big bosses and for big bucks.

ralf
--
PGP: 1024/0xA713ECE9 2047/0xC8E605F5