How to upgrade the kernal

Post by Venka » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 20:33:37

I have redhat linux 8.0 with kernel 2.4.xxx .
What are the steps to be taken to upgrade the kernel to 2.5.xx ?. Can I
upgrade the kernel without upgrading any other applications ?.

Regards
Venkat

How to upgrade the kernal

Post by Jens.Toerr.. » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 21:39:50

> I have redhat linux 8.0 with kernel 2.4.xxx .
> What are the steps to be taken to upgrade the kernel to 2.5.xx ?. Can I
> upgrade the kernel without upgrading any other applications ?.

No. There's a set of applications that are required. See the Changes
file in the Documentation subdirectory for a list of the applications
and how to find out if your versions are already up to date enough.
And you also should be aware that the 2.5 kernels are development
kernels, there are no guarantees that everything will work correctly
and, unless you keep this in mind and keep a backup around of every-
thing dear to you, you should wait for the stable 2.6 kernels to
be released.
                                      Regards, Jens
--
      _  _____  _____

  _  | |  | |    | |
 | |_| |  | |    | |          http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~toerring
  \___/ens|_|homs|_|oerring

How to upgrade the kernal

Post by Sybren Stuve » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 22:44:18

Venkat enlightened us with:

Quote:> I have redhat linux 8.0 with kernel 2.4.xxx .  What are the steps to
> be taken to upgrade the kernel to 2.5.xx ?. Can I upgrade the kernel
> without upgrading any other applications ?.

If you have to ask these questions, kernel 2.5 is not for you. It's a
development kernel, and might as well nuke your entire system and run
away with your girlfriend. Just stick to the latest 2.4 (2.4.21 at the
moment)

Sybren

1. HELP NEEDED to upgrade from kernal 1.2.1 to kernal 2.0.0

i got the 1.2.1 kernel (slakeware) and i need to upgrade to 2.0.0
can u please tell me how to do it and what do i need to upgrade ???
please be specific as u can
i would very much appreciate it if u answer throw email

thanks in advance korwin

2. Simple network problem, maybe for you, not me!!

3. upgrade the kernal

4. NE2000

5. How to upgrade linux kernal

6. Metro-X problem

7. help upgrading my kernal

8. 2.0.29: sudden network death

9. Upgrading the Kernal

10. Printer not detected after upgrade of kernal

11. Upgrading the Kernal from REd Hat 5.2 -> 5.0

12. kernal upgrade without re-entering all the config params?

13. Problem upgrading to RedHat kernal 2.2-17 from 2.2-16