Real-time data acquisition and control applications.

Real-time data acquisition and control applications.

Post by Michael D. Norwic » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Does anyone know whether any data acquisition and control applications
are being developed using National Instruments, Hewlett Packard,
I.O.Tech, etc. hardware on Linux?  I have a need for a stable control
system running SCADA-esque software to control gas turbine generator
sets.  I don't like proprietary operating systems and environments and I
really don't like Windows NT.  I prefer Debian Linux for no other reason
than I have been using it for the past 3 years in a test environment and
I feel comfortable with it's package system, administration, and module
set-up.  It has also proven bulletproof.  I have built fairly static
databases (look-up tables) using mSQL and feel it is up to the task to
run on the back end of my D.A.Q. system.  Can anyone help?

Michael D. Norwick
Unity Energy Corporation

Post by Sebastian Kuzmins » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

] Does anyone know whether any data acquisition and control applications
] are being developed using National Instruments, Hewlett Packard,
] I.O.Tech, etc. hardware on Linux?  I have a need for a stable control
] system running SCADA-esque software to control gas turbine generator
] sets.

You may be interested in the Linux Lab Project:

http://www.llp.fu-berlin.de/

The first sentence of their abstract reads:

"The Linux lab project is intended to help people with development of
data collection and process control software for LINUX."

]                                           I have built fairly static
] databases (look-up tables) using mSQL and feel it is up to the task to
] run on the back end of my D.A.Q. system.

Is the database capable of keeping your control system fed?

Sebastian

Real-time data acquisition and control applications.

Post by Dmitri A. Sergatsk » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 02 Mar 1999 15:07:31 -0600,

Quote:>Does anyone know whether any data acquisition and control applications
>are being developed using National Instruments, Hewlett Packard,
>I.O.Tech, etc. hardware on Linux?  I have a need for a stable control

......deleted.....

Have a look at http://www.llp.fu-berlin.de/ and links on this page.

Also, National Instruments has ported LabView and GPIB driver to linux.
(http://www.natinst.com/linux/)

Regards,

Dmitri.

Real-time data acquisition and control applications.

Post by steve mcada » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

[Posted & mailed, snipped, quoted is ">"]

Quote:>Does anyone know whether any data acquisition and control applications
>are being developed using National Instruments, Hewlett Packard,
>I.O.Tech, etc. hardware on Linux?  I have a need for a stable control
>system running SCADA-esque software to control gas turbine generator
>sets.  I don't like proprietary operating systems and environments and I
>really don't like Windows NT.  I prefer Debian Linux for no other reason
>than I have been using it for the past 3 years in a test environment and
>I feel comfortable with it's package system, administration, and module
>set-up.  It has also proven bulletproof.  I have built fairly static
>databases (look-up tables) using mSQL and feel it is up to the task to
>run on the back end of my D.A.Q. system.  Can anyone help?

If you're going to use Linux as a process-control engine, whether it's
Debian or any other flavor shouldn't matter much since you'll probably
want to tailor a monolithic kernel and not have too much in the
system, possibly just a diskless box with a big burnable ram area.
Assuming you're going to ship this as a product.  Or maybe you're
going to run process-control off your desktop?

What is "SCADA-esque" software?  Are you writing your own
process-control application, or just trying to find one you can buy or
get for free?

Hard to know how to help (not that I could, who knows) when your
objectives aren't completely clear.
"Always enforce your assumptions." -steve, http://www.codetools.com/showcase

Post by James Youngma » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone know whether any data acquisition and control applications
> are being developed using National Instruments, Hewlett Packard,
> I.O.Tech, etc. hardware on Linux?  I have a need for a stable control
> system running SCADA-esque software to control gas turbine generator
> sets.

Something broadly along these lines was announced on freshmeat.net
this week.

--

Post by Michael D. Norwic » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> <Snipped response>

I should have been more specific in emphasizing the "supervisory" functions of
this system which I propose.  Tending more towards control and instrumentation
rather than purely measurment.  I am contacting National Instruments about their
Linux drivers but it appears that no "turnkey" applications are available at
this time.  I will most likely have to settle for an off the shelf solution for
the short term i.e. proprietary hardware driven by another Unix R.T.O.S. such as
Lynx.

Thanks for the info
Michael D. Norwick
Unity Energy Corporation

1. Real Time Data Acquisition

[...]

Linux, as is, is not a very good choice for real - time data
acquisition.  Time for swapping and for file synching are inherently
unpredictable, so you never know when a certain operation is going to
happen.  If all you are doing is reading in a value every couple of
minutes, fine; just lock your processes in real memory, give them high
priority and you'll probably be fine.

If your data can be stored for a certain amount of time on the data
aquisition board (or whatever you're using), then Linux should not be
too bad, either.

However, if you need to be reasonably sure that your data is going to be
processed as it comes in, even tired old MS-DOS is probably a better
choice than Linux, because there, you can be sure that nobody is going
to steal your cycles from you.  If you are truly fed up with it (and who
isn't, on this group ;-) I recommend a real - time multitasking
operating system, such as OS-9 or OS-9000 (you can find info about both
of these on comp.os.os9) or other (look at comp.realtime).
--

The joy of engineering is to find a straight line on a double
logarithmic diagram.

2. Sad story about Addtron/SMC/Ambicom Cards and Linux

3. Data Acquisition using linux with [Data Acquisition Processor] DAP

4. Server and client at the same time

5. data acquisition and control

6. shell question - autologouts

7. Linux data acquisition/control + scilab

8. ATAPI cdrom problem

9. [ Advice needed on real-time application. ]

10. Real-time control from Yggdrasil Linux

11. CFP: IEEE Real-Time Technology and Applications Symposium

12. Linux in real-time applications?

13. debugging an application that has to run real-time