Anyone Compiled fontutils Under Linux 1.28 or Later?

Anyone Compiled fontutils Under Linux 1.28 or Later?

Post by Trevor Jenki » Tue, 17 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I have tried to compile the fontutils-0.6 stuff under Linux 1.2.8 but
gcc complains about dtoa having different defintions in <stdlib.h> and
in one or more of the fontutils headers. :-(

Before I start correcting this problem has anyone been there before
me? If so, could they make the changes available?

Does anyone know whether work is still going on on this package? The
latest version available from GNU archives is dated 1992.

I am hoping that I can use this package to convert PostScript type 3
fonts to PostScript type 1 fonts. I have a customer wanting to convert
lots of PostScript documents (2,000 files and 4Gb a month) to PDF.
Some of these files contain PostScript type 3 fonts. If I can get a
version that works under Linux I then have to consider a port to
VAX/VMS as well as that is my client's  prefered hardware platform.
But before I try that one I want to prove that fontutils will do what
is needed  and I cannot say that until I compile it on my Linux
machine.

Type 3 fonts are not rendered at all well by Acrobat Reader. However,
GhostScript  does a wonderful job of rendering the same PDF files at
both large and small zoom sizes.

I know that there are type 1 version of the Computer Modern fonts
about but sadly many of the files my client is dealing with are
generated from a typesetting package called 3B2. This means that the
tricks documented in a white paper on Adobe's Web site will not work.
fontutils looks to be way to convert these 3B2  fonts to type 1 before
we convert the PostScript to PDF.

Of course, if Adobe were to fix Acrobat to handle type 3 fonts with
the consistency and quality that GhstScript does then I would not have
to bother with any of this.

Regards, Trevor.

--

"Real Men don't Read Instruction Manuals"
   Tim Allen, Home Improvement

Post by Berthold K.P. Ho » Tue, 24 Sep 1996 04:00:00

   I have tried to compile the fontutils-0.6 stuff under Linux 1.2.8 but
   gcc complains about dtoa having different defintions in <stdlib.h> and
   in one or more of the fontutils headers. :-(

Hmm, why post this on comp.text.pdf :=)?

   I am hoping that I can use this package to convert PostScript type 3
   fonts to PostScript type 1 fonts.

No.  There is  no general way of converting arbitrary Type 3 fonts to Type 1.
Type 3 format covers colored fonts, bitmapped fonts, and all sorts of things
that are not even possible in Type 1 format.  When you say Type 3 fonts,
you should be more specific.

   I have a customer wanting to convert
   lots of PostScript documents (2,000 files and 4Gb a month) to PDF.
   Some of these files contain PostScript type 3 fonts.

Are these bitmapped fonts? You mean PK fonts stuck in by DVIPS?

   I know that there are type 1 version of the Computer Modern fonts
   about but sadly many of the files my client is dealing with are
   generated from a typesetting package called 3B2.

Hmm, didn't we recently have an exchange here between Hilmar Schlegel and some
person from 3B2?  Maybe they know what those fonts are.  Generally the
best way is to go back to the source (TeX source code). Reverse enginering
PS files with unlabelled bitmapped fonts is just not worth it.

   This means that the
   tricks documented in a white paper on Adobe's Web site will not work.

Also check out the `white paper' http://www.YandY.com/pdf_from.pdf
which is biased in a different way from the article you refer to.

   fontutils looks to be way to convert these 3B2  fonts to type 1 before
   we convert the PostScript to PDF.

No it aint.

My advice: if you have the TeX source code start from there.
Dealing with legacy PS files is a giant pain.

   Regards, Trevor.

Berthold K.P. Horn
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA

1. sony cdu33a/cdu31a IRQ+DMA linux-1.1.28 broken

Hi i tested the cdu31a.c code with linux-1.1.28 and decided to switch on
the IRQ and DMA bits..
i added IRQ = 6 and DMA = 3 with address = 180 and strapped the iface card
the same..
ON boot up the kernel does an instant panic cant idle swapper task trying
to sleep at the point that the sony cdu31a code is being initialized
so at this time it dont work..
so back to the OLD defaults POLL the card.  wast buckets of CPU Time hi.

Ok any idears...

2. Fast SCSI RAID Units

3. Linux-2.1.28 -- Kernel PANIC

4. Mouse Systems ProAgio

5. RPMS available for strace 4.1 and man-pages 1.28

6. ide disk trouble

7. upgraded to 1.28 : SLIP/PPP not worky??

8. smooth transition to linux

9. Only root gets the mail? in Smail3.1.28

10. Plz help: Smail3.1.28 & new domainname doesn't change

11. Compiling fontutils-0.6-linux

12. Can't compile GNU fontutils

13. Compiling fontutils