X programming

Post by boozte » Thu, 27 May 1999 04:00:00

Where can I fin tutorials for basic X programming without widget sets
and how do I do Hello World
in X

X programming

Post by Mark Hatc » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

Browse www.motifzone.com. Although focused on Motif, it includes lots of
info and tutorials on X too.

Mark

> Where can I fin tutorials for basic X programming without widget sets
> and how do I do Hello World
> in X

X programming

Post by Tim Smit » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Best:
  Get the 1st two volumes of the X set from O'Reilly...
  Volume 1 is the programming manual for X
  Volume 2 is the Xlib Reference manual

  If you really want to get extreme you could get:
  Volume 0 the X Protocol book
  There's alsoi a Programmers' supplement for Release 6.
  The other books are mostly for Motif programmers.

-Tim

> Where can I fin tutorials for basic X programming without widget sets
> and how do I do Hello World
> in X

X programming

Post by Chris » Thu, 03 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>  Get the 1st two volumes of the X set from O'Reilly...
>  Volume 1 is the programming manual for X
>  Volume 2 is the Xlib Reference manual

>  If you really want to get extreme you could get:
>  Volume 0 the X Protocol book
>  There's alsoi a Programmers' supplement for Release 6.
>  The other books are mostly for Motif programmers.

I have actually written a tiny little X Introduction, based on
knowlege I've gleaned from X newsgroups, Vol1 of the X series, and
a book called the Joy of X. (What an oxymoron.) It's not quite done
yet, but may be useful to some people. I'm trying to find out if
the information in there is 100% accurate (though somewhat
oversimplified). You can check it out at:

http://www.hozelhoff.com/xp.html

- Chris

X programming

Post by Grant Edwar » Thu, 03 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>Where can I fin tutorials for basic X programming without widget sets

You really don't want to do that...

Quote:>and how do I do Hello World in X

Get the first couple volumes of the Xlib Reference Manuals and the
Xlib Programming Manual from O'Reilly.

There's sources for a "hello world" program in a little intro to X11 I
wrote a while back:

              http://www.visi.com/~grante/Xtut/Xtut.html

Enjoy...

--