Sim City under Linux??

Post by E. Kevin Hal » Mon, 16 Sep 1996 04:00:00

There's  actually a linux version - only it's a demo. I remember trying
an irix version of it a few years ago. look at
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/tlau/linux-game.html

Later,

> Is anyone running Sim City under Linux?  I understand that it will run
> as a DOS app.  Will it work in DOSEMU?

> Many thanks.

> -Joel

> --
> |_|~~ Germany, Europe. 1940's   "The diameter of the bomb was 30 centimeters,
> __|~| 16 Million DEAD.           and the diameter of its destruction, about 7
>                                 meters, and in it four killed and 11 wounded.
>  cnc  Bosnia, Europe. 1990's    And around these, in a larger circle of  pain
>  cnc  HOW MANY MORE?          and time,  are scattered two  hospitals and one
>                           cemetery.   But the young woman who was  buried  in
>                     the place from where she came, at a distance of more than
>              than 100 kilometers, enlarges the circle considerably.   And the
>       lonely man who is mourning her death in a distant  country incorporates
> into the circle the whole world.  And I won't speak of the cry of the orphans
> that reaches God's chair and from there makes the circle endless and godless."

Sim City under Linux??

Post by William McCart » Tue, 17 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>Is anyone running Sim City under Linux?  I understand that it will run
>as a DOS app.  Will it work in DOSEMU?

>Many thanks.

>-Joel

>--
>|_|~~ Germany, Europe. 1940's   "The diameter of the bomb was 30 centimeters,
>__|~| 16 Million DEAD.           and the diameter of its destruction, about 7
>                                meters, and in it four killed and 11 wounded.
> cnc  Bosnia, Europe. 1990's    And around these, in a larger circle of  pain
> cnc  HOW MANY MORE?          and time,  are scattered two  hospitals and one
>                          cemetery.   But the young woman who was  buried  in
>                    the place from where she came, at a distance of more than
>             than 100 kilometers, enlarges the circle considerably.   And the
>      lonely man who is mourning her death in a distant  country incorporates
>into the circle the whole world.  And I won't speak of the cry of the orphans
>that reaches God's chair and from there makes the circle endless and godless."

Yep, I'm running it and it works just fine. I downloaded the demo and then
sent away for the key - bought it for I can't remember what - and now
have the fully functional games. It's nice. I've also run the Dos SimCity
under dosemu, but the mouse kept leaving trails on the screen. Never
tried to fix it, but it did run okay other than that.

______________________

||___INU\/            |
|____|  /\___________ |

Sim City under Linux??

Post by Mikko Rauha » Tue, 17 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Is anyone running Sim City under Linux?  I understand that it will run
>as a DOS app.  Will it work in DOSEMU?

Bah, there is a native sim city for Linux. It will run as an X app.
I suppose the original one would run under dosemu, there are more demanding
games that do, anyway... There is a free crippled evaluation version
of SC for Linux available, search for simcity & linux on eg. altavista.

        - Mjr, sivari

I speak for me, myself and I only

Sim City under Linux??

Post by Heinz Guenter Scha » Tue, 17 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: Is anyone running Sim City under Linux?  I understand that it will run
: as a DOS app.  Will it work in DOSEMU?

: Many thanks.

: -Joel

If my mind serves me right, there is also a native Linux version for X11.

        Guenter
--
If a listener nods his head when you're explaining your program, wake him up.

Sim City under Linux??

Post by Anmin De » Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:00:00

:> Yep, I'm running it and it works just fine. I downloaded the demo and then
:> sent away for the key - bought it for I can't remember what - and now
:> have the fully functional games. It's nice. I've also run the Dos SimCity
:> under dosemu, but the mouse kept leaving trails on the screen. Never
:> tried to fix it, but it did run okay other than that.

Try to use some other mouse drivers in DOS (ie. gmouse, amouse, etc.)
instead of dosemu's internal-mouse-driver and execute mgarrot may solve
the mouse trailing problem (it works for me).

Sim City under Linux??

Post by John Got » Thu, 19 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>If my mind serves me right, there is also a native Linux version for X11.

There's a demo of this available at:

ftp://ftp.dfw.net/pub/SimCity

--

Senior, EE/Motif Programmer/SysAdmin/Linux Hacker/Amateur Radio Callsign N8QDW

Sim City under Linux??

Post by Daniel A. Tayl » Thu, 19 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>>If my mind serves me right, there is also a native Linux version for X11.

>There's a demo of this available at:

>ftp://ftp.dfw.net/pub/SimCity

There sure is, a.out R5 only...

--
Daniel Taylor

1. Sim City for Linux crashes

I just got around to installing Sim City 3000... I've been too busy since
I bought it.

The game bombs out as soon as I run it:

$ sc3u

BUG! (Segmentation Fault)  Going down hard...
Sim City 3000 Unlimited 2.0.955
Built with glibc-2.1
Stack dump:
{
        /lib/i686/libpthread.so.0 [0x4002ce55]
Please send a full bug report,

I've read there are some patches I could download... but Google doesn't
turn anything up.

Running: Mandrake 9.0 on Abit BP6, 384MB RAM, 18GB Disc.

2. Loopback device - please help

3. Sim City 3000 Crashing

4. Help me please!!!! UUCP / uuxqt problem

5. 30 pin sim to 72 pin sim adaptors

6. XF86Config won't open

7. RARS for UNIX/Linux (Robot Auto Racing Sim)

8. How to synchronize two processes through shared ram

9. Sim for linux

10. writing a flight sim for linux

11. reading a cell phone "sim card" from linux?

12. writing a flight sim for linux