Finding the right PATH

Post by Jorge Escalant » Wed, 07 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Can somebody tell what is the name of the file that I am suppose to edit
to add the '../Java' path?
I am using Slackware 3.5

TIA

--
J. Escalante

Finding the right PATH

Post by David All » Thu, 08 Apr 1999 04:00:00

You need to edit .bash_profile

Failing that, type export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/wherever

> --------------8027DC2EC33CF04F0BB72674

> Can somebody tell what is the name of the file that I am suppose to edit
> to add the '../Java' path?
> I am using Slackware 3.5

> TIA

> --
> J. Escalante

> --------------8027DC2EC33CF04F0BB72674

> <HTML>
> Can somebody tell what is the name of the file that I am suppose to edit
> to add the '../Java' path?
> <BR>I am using Slackware 3.5

> <P>TIA
> <PRE>--&nbsp;
> J. Escalante

> &nbsp;</HTML>

> --------------8027DC2EC33CF04F0BB72674--

--
David Allen
http://opop.nols.com/index.shtml

1. Can't Alter My Path, Can't Find My Path

Here's the situation:

I'm a newbie logged in as root in KDE (I KNOW it's dangerous).  When I type
'echo $PATH' I get '/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin'.

In /etc/profile I found a path statement but it looks like it's part of a
sub-script and it doesn't match this path (it includes games).  I added a
'PATH=$PATH:/opt'  and an 'export PATH'.  I logged out and back in.  It made
no difference to my path statement.  I tried again with quote marks around
$PATH:/opt.  No difference.

I've checked the bash profile and bashrc.  I can't find where
'/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin' comes from.  I'm running Mandrake.

Where is the path hidden?  I've spent two days trying to find it on my own
following all the nice notes from LinuxNewbie.  I yield.  Help.

Thanks,
Ric

2. masq traffic logger

3. Commands to Find Common Base Path of 2 Given Paths?

4. I/O redirection

5. add in the PATH a path if not present in the PATH

6. System loses video

7. ksh: add path to $PATH only when ot yet in $PATH

8. parallel hard drives

9. zsh's 'typeset -U path' wipes out path/PATH

10. PATH=$(getconf PATH), but PATH for getconf?

11. set path = "$path" hoses path in tcsh -- why???

12. How to expand paths in $PATH like "~/bin" to full path?

13. /etc/profile, bashrc, PATH, PS1 and X: What is right?